Search site

House to House Collections Licence

To carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in the Craven District, you must make an application to the Council.

EU Services Directive

Eugo Logo This activity is within scope of the directive. If you are setting up/running a business in the UK, but are based overseas from another EU state, you may find the UK welcomes business licence and regulation tool useful, in addition to the Council's own web pages.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You must be a fit and proper person.
  • You must provide details of the collection date or dates, location and what is being collected (for example money or articles to sell, giveaway or re-use).
  • The collection must be for charitable purposes.
  • Applications must be made at least one calendar month before the first date of collection.

Checks will be made to ensure that you are a fit and proper person to undertake a house-to-house collection.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in the legislation.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for a longer period. With regard to vetting and checking to ascertain whether the organisation applying is genuine or not, the same procedures apply as for street collections.

As with street collection permits there is a requirement for the promoter to make a return following the collection.

Collections generally take place from door to door or from one public house to another.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Target Completion Period

28 calendar days.


No Fee

Apply Online

Craven District Council cannot receive online House-to-House collection licence applications. This feature will be available in the near future.

Apply by Post

The completed pdf icon application form [133kb] must be submitted to the Council at least one month before the collection start date.

If circumstances change regarding date(s) and location(s) of house-to-house collections, contact the Council.

Once you have completed your house-to-house collection, you must notify the Council of the result within 1 month of the collection end date by completing and returning a pdf icon form of statement [21kb].


Address: Licensing, Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

Phone: 01756 706251


Failed Application Redress

Please contact Craven District Council in the first instance.

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Craven District Council in the first instance.

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations


iCM Form
  1. Contact
    1. Please complete all the information boxes below then press the 'Send email' button. * Please complete all parts.
    2. Apologies, but we need to stop automated spam being sent via this form, please answer this simple question to "prove you are human".