Search site

Housing benefit - change of circumstances

You must tell us immediately, in writing, about any changes to the information used to assess your benefit claim.

A phone call or asking someone else to tell us about the change is not enough.

If there is an overpayment of benefit you may have to pay some money back.

If you deliberately fail to tell us about changes which result in too much benefit being paid, you are committing an offence and you may be prosecuted.

Examples of changes in circumstances you must tell us about:

  • changes to your or your partner's income, capital or savings;
  • changes to the income of any adults or children living with you or the number of people living with you;
  • if you, your partner or any other adults in your household stop receiving Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance;
  • if any of your children leave college or school;
  • if you or someone in your household starts work;
  • changes to your tenancy or rent or if you are likely to be away from home for 13 weeks or more.

You must tell us immediately about any changes. If the change means you would get more benefit, and you do not tell us within one month, we will not be able to backdate the change.

Download theword icon Change of Circumstances Form [249kb] fill in and return to Customer Services, Craven District Council,1 Belle Vue Square, Skipton BD23 1NQ.

Important Information if you are going abroad for four weeks or more

The rules for claiming Housing Benefit if you are going abroad for four weeks or more have changed.  Find out more in this document word icon Changes to Temporary Absence Rules [17kb]




iCM Form
  1. Contact
    1. Please complete all the information boxes below then press the 'Send email' button. * Please complete all parts.
    2. Apologies, but we need to stop automated spam being sent via this form, please answer this simple question to "prove you are human".