Search site

Skipton Town Hall

Part of the Town Hall is currently being refurbished. The main hall is due to close for events after 20 December until Spring 2015. Craven Museum & Gallery will also remain closed until Spring 2015 however school visits can still be accommodated. Skipton Tourist Information Centre is open as usual but please be aware there may be occasions when the TIC will need to close because of the work taking place.

Skipton Town Hall

Refurbishment project

We are currently creating a new accessible entrance from Jerry Croft enabling the disabled lift to be removed from the front of the Town Hall so the original steps can be restored. An internal lift will be installed to provide access to the first floor offices and Council Chamber of the Town Hall. The existing ground floor toilet facilities have now been demolished with new toilet facilities built a similar location. There are internal alternations at ground and first floor level to accommodate potential commercial tenants as well as decorating the foyer area of new entrance, installing a new heating system and altering the electrics.
For further information and updates about the current and future work in the Town Hall, please see Skipton Town Hall refurbishment.

What's going on in the Town Hall?

Skipton Tourist Information Centre provides information and advice on what to see and do in Skipton and the rest of the district. To find opening times for Skipton Tourist Information Centre, please see Tourist Information Centres.

There are rooms in the Town Hall which are available to hire, for further information please see Room Hire at Skipton Town Hall.

The building is also home to Craven Museum & Gallery.

Brief history of the Town Hall

Skipton Town Hall was built in 1862, on the site of the former vicarage of Holy Trinity church. The main hall was altered, with its height increased, in 1878 and was run as a public function room by a private company.

When Skipton Urban District Council was created in 1895, it bought the building to be the Town Hall, replacing the 'Old Town Hall' on Sheep Street. Late in the 19th century, a canopy of glass and ornate wrought iron was added on the front, but this was demolished during the 1950s. An extension was built in 1935 to increase office space.

  • Room Hire at Skipton Town Hall

    Skipton Town Hall has five rooms that are available to hire after April 2015. We are currently refurbishing a section of the building and are limiting bookings during the construction period.

  • Skipton Town Hall events

    After 20 December, events at Skipton Town Hall will be suspended until the spring while the refurbishment works take place.

  • Skipton Town Hall refurbishment

    The aim of the Council is to secure a sustainable future for a restored and improved Town Hall for use by the local community.

  • Jerry Croft

    Craven District Council commissioned an independent Road Safety Risk Assessment on Jerry Croft in Skipton.