Search site

Industrial Heritage

Agriculture, quarrying, lead mining and textile mills have played their part in the heritage of Craven. Across Craven examples of these industries are still visible, some are little more than ruins, others continue to have their original uses whilst many have been restored and renovated to accommodate new uses.

Craven Lime Kilns, Langcliffe Near Settle BD24 This industrial scale lime kiln was built in 1873 for the Craven Lime Company. The Hoffmann Continuous kiln was patented in 1858 by its German inventor Friedrich Hoffmann. The version built under licence at Langcliffe had 22 individual burning chambers. Limestone was burned continuously in a circuit around the kiln and it took an average of six weeks for one whole circuit.
The site has information boards and is open to the public, take care on uneven pathways.


High Corn Mill Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window High Corn Mill, Mill Bridge, Skipton BD23 1NJ
Records show that High Corn Mill dates back as far as 1310 when it was owned by Robert de Clifford, having been handed to the powerful Clifford family by the then King Edward II.
However what we see of the Mill today is only half of what existed back then, when two mills operated to produce corn for the whole of Skipton. The Mill held the monopoly on grinding corn for the town, and it wasn't until the 19th century that this was lifted, giving Skipton residents an option.
In 1954 the castle estate was broken up, and a decade later the Mill came into the hands of George Leatt, a local businessman, who then converted it into an industrial museum and seed merchants.The Mill has passed through several hands over the years, and also been known under various different names. Originally called the Water-Corne Milne, it went on to become the Soke Mill until finally finding the name we all know it by today, High Corn Mill.
Now occupied by retail shops, many original features can be seen.


Lead Mining in Grassington Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser windowLead Mining in Grassington
Lead mining in the vicinity of Grassington has been carried out since the 15th century. When George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, became Lord of the Manor he brought skilled men from his Derbyshire mines to work in the mines on Grassington Moor, in addition, miners from Swaledale and Cornwall also settled here bringing with them valuable expertise relating to mining techniques.

Lead mining in Cononley Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser windowLead mining in Cononley
Lead mining in Cononley dates back to the early 16th Century. The main vein of ore was in Mason's shaft (the main shaft). Between 1848 and 1863 the Cononley mines produced between 329 and 350 tons of lead every year. At the Height of the Mine, 1700 Miners worked the mines. Mining the lead ore became more expensive with the influx of cheaper lean from Spain, meaning the mine eventually closed.
Over the last 100 years the mine has been reopened in the search for a new vein of Lead  ore until its eventually demolished in the 1960's. The main shaft building and wheel house still stand today as a reminder of a by-gone era