Search site

Council Tax Reduction - new claim

You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income. This might be earnings (including self-employed earnings) or benefits such as Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Incapacity Benefits.


You cannot get Council Tax Reduction if you, or your partner between you, have more than £16,000 in savings.

A partner is someone you are married to, or someone you live with as if you are married to them.

How do I claim?

There is no automatic entitlement to Council Tax Reduction.  An application form along with supporting evidence must be submitted. You can collect an application form at the Council Offices, or telephone Customer Services on 01756 700600 and we will post one out to you.

What supporting evidence is required?

There are a number of documents that must be provided in support of a Council Tax Reduction application to allow reduction entitlement to be determined.  All of these documents must be original.

1. Proof of identity and National Insurance Number

Claimants must provide:

  • Evidence of identity
  • National Insurance number for themselves and their partner.

2. Proof of income

If you are employed, you are required to provide :

  • If paid weekly - five wage slips
  • If paid monthly - two wage slips
  • If paid fortnightly - three wage slips

If you do not have wage slips, your employer will need to complete a certificate of earned income which is downloadable on the right hand side of the page.

If you are self-employed, please download and complete word icon Self Employed Form [265kb] .

3. Proof of savings/capital

To establish your savings/capital, we will need to see your last two months' bank statements and the up to date pass books for any other accounts that you hold, as well as details of any other investments you may have, for example; stocks and shares, ISAs, Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, land or property etc.

The application form states what supporting evidence is required to allow us to process a claim. These documents must be original, photocopies will not be accepted.

If you cannot provide evidence straight away you should send in the form and submit the evidence later.

Receipts will be given for claims accepted at your local office, if requested.

Changes of circumstance

It is important that all changes of circumstance are reported to us within one calendar month of the change occurring. If the change is advantageous to the claimant, delaying in notifying us may result in loss of Council Tax Reduction.  If the change is likely to be detrimental to the claimant's reduction entitlement (for example, their wages have increased) an overpayment may occur if we are not notified immediately.

Note: Failure to report any changes that may result in a decrease in the amount of benefit awarded, may lead to prosecution.