Search site

Council Tax Reduction - change of circumstances

If there are any changes to your income, for example how much you earn, or the benefits you receive, you must tell us immediately, preferably in writing.

If you don't tell us about a change, and we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back. If you are not sure whether we need to know about a change it is always better to tell us anyway.

You MUST tell us about the following changes:-

Changes to the money you get

Please tell us if there are any changes to the money received by people in your home. Common examples include:

  • you start or stop getting Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • you start or stop getting Family Credit
  • the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
  • the money non-dependants get increases or decreases

Changes in your home

Please tell us if:

  • you change your address (you can use the Council Tax Change of Address Online Form)
  • the number of people in your home changes - for example, someone has a baby
  • a partner comes to live with you
  • a partner leaves

Other changes

Please tell us if:

  • you, or your partner, go into hospital for more than 6 weeks
  • you, or your partner, become a student, or stop being a student
  • the amount of savings or capital you have changes

You do not have to tell us about changes in age (for example, if one of your children becomes 11 years old), as we will have this information already.

Download and complete word icon Change of circumstances form [249kb] and return to Customer Services