Search site

Cinema Licence

Any public performance of a film exhibition is controlled under the Licensing Act 2003

Licence – cinema
The Act does not just apply to cinema premises but also includes exhibitions produced by video equipment such as video juke boxes in pubs and video screens in nightclubs. A Premises Licence is needed to run a cinema.

pdf icon Guidance for new premises licences [103kb]

pdf icon Premises licence application form [1012kb]

word icon Application for Premises Licence [122kb]

Films can normally only be shown if the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has awarded a certificate. These range from 'U' which means universal and can be seen by anyone, to '18' which means that only persons who are 18 and over can be admitted to see a particular film.

The Council has the power to act as a local censor and give permission for a film to be shown which has not been granted a certificate by the BBFC. The Council also has powers to prohibit the exhibition of a film even though a certificate has been granted,or alter the BBFC certification from, for example a 'PG' to a '12'.

Copies of the Licensing Act 2003 can be purchased from Her Majesty's Stationery Office.