Search site

Household waste - alternative options for disposal of large items

Before you request a bulky household collection, have you thought about donating to a local charity shop or re-use organisation?

  • Local charity shops and re-use organisations are always looking for high quality items to pass on to individuals and families who may not be able to buy new furniture.  e.g. Craven Recycled Furniture Centre, which as of January 1, 2016, has taken up temporary accommodation at Shaw House, Goulbourne Street, Keighley, BD21 1PG, Tel: 01756 799099. This is a temporary arrangement until they move into new accommodation in Skipton in Feb/March 2016.
  • You could also advertise your unwanted items on Freegle  (formerly Freecycle). This website enables you to advertise items that you no longer need but may be just what someone next door is looking for!  There are other recycling organisations on the Recycling Group Finder website.
  • Some high street retailers provide an in-store take-back scheme to customers for electrical and electronic items, when you purchase a new item from them
  • Alternatively, you may take bulky items to one of the Household Waste Recycling Centres, free of charge. Please visit North Yorkshire County Council's web site for your nearest centre.
  • If you hire a contractor to take away your waste, please ensure they are a licensed waste carrier. This means that the contractor will dispose of your waste in accordance with the law. If you are unsure, ask to see their carrier's certificate of registration or contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or visit the Environment Agency web site