Search site

Housing Benefit changes from April 2013

The Government made major changes to Housing Benefit which came into effect in April 2013.

If you are of working age and receive Housing Benefit the changes will mean that you may get less help with your rent.   The changes include:

Local Council Tax Reduction Scheme

In April 2013 the government ended the national Council Tax Benefit scheme. Instead all local councils including Craven District Council had to design and run their own Council Tax Reduction scheme with less money from central government to pay for it.  Craven's scheme for 2016-17 remains unchanged from 2015-16 apart from changes imposed by Central Government.  Find out more about Craven's scheme in this document  pdf icon Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2016-17 [1Mb].

Household Benefit cap

In April 2013, the government put a limit on the amount of benefit that working age people can receive. This is so that no family out of work can receive more welfare benefits than families that are working receive after tax earnings. There is a maximum total benefit entitlement of £500 per week for couples or single parents with children, or £350 a week for single people.  There is more information on this website page Housing Benefit cap.

Housing Benefit - social housing size restrictions

In April 2013 the government introduced new rules that set out the number of bedrooms Housing Benefit will pay for, if you are renting from a local authority, a registered housing association or other registered social landlord. These rules restrict the size of accommodation you can receive Housing Benefit for based on the number of people in your household and it is possible therefore that the amount of Housing Benefit you get to pay your rent could go down. There is more information on this website page Social housing size restriction.

Housing Benefit - Local Housing Allowances

Room rates for people renting from private landlords are no longer based on rental values, but will be increased annually by the consumer price index.  See more information on our website pages on Local Housing Allowance.

Housing Benefit - Important Information if you are going abroad for four weeks or more

The rules regarding claiming Housing Benefit if you are going abroad have now changed. Find out more in this document word icon Changes to Temporary Absence Rules [17kb]


iCM Form
  1. Contact
    1. Please complete all the information boxes below then press the 'Send email' button. * Please complete all parts.
    2. Apologies, but we need to stop automated spam being sent via this form, please answer this simple question to "prove you are human".