Search site

Planning Enforcement

Planning Enforcement investigate alleged cases of development that has been undertaken without the necessary permission, or not in accordance with the conditions of a permission. Where necessary legal action can be taken to require breaches of planning control to be rectified.

Enforcement image

A planning enforcement investigation will need to establish:

• Whether the alleged breach needs planning permission (or other similar consent) from the Council

 If planning permission has been given whether it is proceeding in accordance with the approved plans and conditions

 If permission is needed and has not been obtained, whether the development causes any unacceptable planning issues, and

 If permission is needed and has not been obtained, whether the development is now immune from enforcement action

Where a breach of planning control has occurred and action is necessary, the Council will first seek to use co-operation and negotiation to resolve the matter.  Should this be unsuccessful, or the breach of planning control is very serious, there are a variety of formal legal actions that the Council can take.

The Guide to Planning Enforcement can be downloaded (at the top right of this page) for more detailed advice and information on Planning Enforcement at Craven.  A copy can also be obtained from the Council Offices at Belle Vue Square. 

Breaches of Planning - who to contact?

If you want to tell us about a possible breach of planning control please download the  word icon Planning Enforcement Complaint Form [181kb]

Post the completed form to the team at the address below or attach it to an email and send it to

All planning enforcement complaints should be sent to:

Planning Enforcement
Craven District Council
Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton
North Yorkshire
BD23 1FJ