Search site

Advice for tenants

This page outlines the advice and assistance available from the Housing Options Team for tenants - to help them to sustain their tenancies.


Tenants can get advice and support from the Housing Options team or their landlords depending on whether they rent privately or from a social landlord.

Social housing tenants experiencing difficulties should speak to their landlord first as they may offer a housing related support service.

Housing Options will provide a service for all tenants and this page will give you information on the help available to help you to remain in your own home. In May 2015 the Government published a "Checklist for Tenants" and there are a range of web sites with further information and advice for tenants. Please see our Downloads and Offsite Links for examples of further information available.

Financial help available

If you are struggling to pay your rent or you have got into rent arrears - you need to act fast. The Housing Options team will:

  • Help to sort out your housing benefit or Universal Credit issues
  • Negotiate with your landlord and work out a payment plan
  • Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments to
    • top up your rent or
    • contribute towards your arrears
  • Help you access Loans to prevent eviction

Help to talk to your landlord

We are happy to talk to your landlord about any problem you may be experiencing and work together to solve your problem.

Examples of what we can help with are:

  • Rent repayment programmes
  • Breakdown of landlord/tenant relationship
  • Repayment of Bond disputes 

Help with repairs

If you are struggling with repairs we can advise on:

  • The Landlord's legal duties
  • Your responsibilities as a tenant
  • How to make a complaint to your landlord
  • Action that the Council can take

Help with notices and evictions

If you get a notice from your landlord - either in writing or verbally - then contact us as we may be able to negotiate with your landlord to get the notice withdrawn where possible and give you advice on:

  • Whether the notice is valid
  • The steps your Landlord has to take to evict you
  • Help to defend you at Possession Proceedings

Help with health and mobility issues

For tenants that are experiencing health and mobility issues and want to stay in your current home, there are services to help you to do this such as:

Support for tenants

If you need ongoing support with your tenancy we may refer you to housing support who can assist with a range of issues including:

  • Budgeting and debt issues
  • Making sure you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled
  • Setting up home
  • Accessing services such as GP's, dentists, etc.
  • Form filling
  • Neighbour disputes, antisocial behaviour

This may be provided by a number of agencies that we work with including Craven - Stay (Horton Housing), CAP, Citizens Advice Bureau etc.

If you have any questions at all about any aspect of your tenancy, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would be pleased to help!