Search site

Help to stay in your home

Where possible we seek to prevent homelessness by providing advice and support for people to help them to stay in their own homes.


Our Housing Options, Housing Benefits & Environmental Health teams will work with you to resolve any issues you may be experiencing that are affecting your ability to stay in your own home.

This may range from financial difficulties to issues with your landlord.


Financial Issues

There is a range of assistance available to people who rent or own their own home who are experiencing financial difficulties. The first step is to contact our Housing Options Team for an interview so we can assess your situation. Our help includes:

a) Housing Advice - on what your options are - your rights and whether your property is affordable

b) Debt Advice - we can refer you to our partner organisations/schemes to access specialist debt advice and support depending on your needs from the following:

  • Housing Benefits team for help with Housing Benefit/Council Tax claims, overpayments and arrears etc
  • Citizen's Advice Bureau for debt advice including representation at court, debt management and a benefits check
  • Welfare Reform Support Scheme to access an Advice Worker providing "one to one" advice and support to alleviate your financial problems
  • CAP Money - for money management advice and "one to one" support

c) Help with Fuel costs - with rising energy prices you may not be able to pay your fuel bills, be in debt or alternatively you may not be heating your home adequately in winter months.  In the first instance we would encourage you to contact your energy provider as they have a range of schemes available to help their customers. The following websites provide simple and cost effective things you can do to make your home more fuel efficient and/or advice & support including grants available:

For more information about national and local schemes providing advice, support, grants and loans available, please visit our Help to make your home fuel efficient web page.

If struggling to pay your fuel bills is only one part of your financial difficulties, then we would recommend that you contact: 

  • Craven's Welfare Reform Support Worker who provides "one to one" advice and support to alleviate your financial problems

d) Other Financial assistance - for qualifying households where homelessness is prevented we are able to access:

  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Homelessness Prevention Funds
  • Eviction and Repossession Loans

It is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we can work with your to prevent you from becoming homeless.

Health and Disability issues

Your home may no longer be suitable due to increasing disability or it is affecting your health. Our Housing Options team are able to provide information and advice about other types of housing that may be available, support and assistance - such as Disabled Facilities Grants.

To find out more please visit our Housing advice for older people web page.

Neighbour disputes & noise nuisance

If you are involved in a dispute with your neighbour, mediation may help. An independent person, usually a trained Mediator, can meet with both parties or can meet each party separately.

Mediation is where an independent person discusses the problem with you and everyone else involved, and encourages you to sort out the problem between yourselves.

If you are a housing association tenant, your landlord housing association can help with neighbourhood disputes and tackle anti social behaviour and harassment issues. There are a number of mediation services locally that can be found on the internet.

In the first instance, if this is the only issue you require assistance with, please contact your landlord or the Environmental Health Team who will be able to advise you on what action can be taken.

Landlord/tenancy issues

Our Environmental Health team are able to assist if you are experiencing problems with the following areas:

In the first instance, if this is the only issue you require assistance with, please contact the Environmental Health Team who will be able to advise you on what action can be taken.

What to do next

If you are interested in talking to someone about how you can remain safe in your own home please contact our Housing Options team to arrange an interview or our Environmental Health Team. We would be pleased to help!

Please find below details of other web pages which you may find useful:

  • SupportAdvice for tenants

    Advice for tenants

    This page outlines the advice and assistance available from the Housing Options Team for tenants - to help them to sustain their tenancies.

  • Help for Homeowners MediaAdvice for homeowners

    Advice for homeowners

    If you are under threat of losing your home because of mortgage problems, the Housing Options team offers advice and support to work with your lender to agree a practical way out of the problem and, if possible, keep you in your home.

  • Care - at home Care and Repair scheme

    Care and Repair scheme

    Craven's Care and Repair service is provided by the Craven Home Improvement Agency. They are a not-for-profit organisation operated by Yorkshire Housing Foundation in partnership with Craven District Council.