Search site

Advice for tenants

If you have concerns about the condition of your rented house or you are having problems with your landlord, you can contact our private sector housing officer within Environmental Health.

  • Housing Health & Safety Rating System

    The Housing Act 2004 introduced a way in which local authorities ("councils") assess housing conditions in England and Wales. It uses a risk assessment approach called the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS); the aim is to provide a system (not a standard) to enable risks from hazards to health and safety in dwellings to be removed or minimised.

  • Harassment and illegal eviction

    Harassment is when your landlord, or someone else acting for them does things to try and make you leave your home.

  • Tenancy agreements

    The majority of private rented tenants are assured shorthold tenants. They can only be evicted in certain circumstances and landlords must follow certain rules and procedures.

  • Tenancy deposit

    Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007.