Search site

Licence - sex shops

Licence - sex establishment

Licence – sex shops

Sex Shop Licence

To run a sex shop (premises selling sex toys, books or videos) you need a licence from us. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence from us. However, you may apply to us requesting that we waive the requirement of a licence.

Apply for a licence
You can apply for a licence by filling in the following application forms:
  • Application form.  This must be made to us with the fee.   

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.


Before you complete your application, we advice you to read the conditions for more information.

How long will it take to receive the licence?

You can expect to hear from us normally within 60 days.


If there are any complaints or appeals on the licence you should contact us for advice.
Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to us, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application.

We would always advise that you complain to the trader first, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If your complaint is not dealt with and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (opens in a new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens in a new window).