Search site

Licence - public entertainment

To operate licensable activities, such as alcohol and various entertainments, the following application forms are needed, depending on the activity and premises.

Licence – public entertainment

Premises Licence

A premises licence allows alcohol and entertainment to be present at a premises. You can apply for: 
  • New premises licence
  • Variation and minor variation of premises licence
  • Change of premises licence holder
  • Variation of designated premises supervisor

Interest in a premises

  • Application for a provisional statement - for premises about to be or being built.
  • Notification of an interest in premises

Personal Licence

For applications for a new personal licence, a Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) check is needed via DisclosureScotland, and a disclosure form of convictions and declarations is needed. 

Please Note: From the 1st April 2011 onwards, the new Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) is the qualification that applicants will need to have passed in order to apply for a licence, unless they have prior to 31st March 2011 already passed the old Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH).
  • Application form for a new personal licence
  • Application form to renew a personal licence
  • Guidance - applying for a personal licence 

Please send your application forms and declarations to us with the appropriate fee.

Club Premises Certificate

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for particular social, sporting or political purposes. Members are able to buy alcohol from the premises. Technically, there is no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members.

Apply for a certificate

For applications for club premises certificates:

  • Declaration for a club premises certificate to be granted - this is needed for brand new clubs, such as a brand new build, or a premises that has not already had a club premises certificate.
  • Application form for a club premises certificate
  • Application to vary a club premises certificate
  • Application for a minor variation of a club premises

Applications should be submitted to us with; a plan of the premises (which must be in a specific format), a copy of the rules of the club and a club-operating schedule.

Temporary Event Notice

If you are planning a temporary event, which includes late night refreshment, alcohol or entertainment, a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is needed.  For more information and an application form please see our Temporary Event Notice web page.

Community Premises

 'Community premises' are defined as premises that are, or form part of, a church hall, chapel hall or other similar building or a village hall, parish hall or community hall or other similar building.
For a community premises, there is no requirement of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for the sale and supply of alcohol. This is managed by the community premises committee.
Removal of requirement for DPS application form
Guidance for community premises
If you do not have a premises licence and want to hold a temporary event within the community premises, then you can apply for a temporary event notice which would allow the sale of alcohol and entertainment.

Review of Premises Licence

At any stage, following the grant of a premises licence, a responsible authority, such as the police or the fire authority, or an interested party, such as a resident living in the vicinity of the premises, may ask us to review the licence if they consider that the licensing objectives are not being met.

Requests for reviews must be sent as an application form.

Application for review of premises licence

Once received, licensing officers will determine whether or not to accept the application based on the evidence submitted and whether or not the person is within the vicinity of the premises concerned.