Search site

Register a food business

UK law requires registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, restaurants, hotels, shops, canteens, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures).

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, restaurants, hotels, shops, canteens delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.

Who needs to register? 

If you run a food business you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises includes:

  • restaurants
  • hotels
  • cafes
  • shops
  • supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices
  • warehouses
  • guest houses
  • hot dog and ice cream vans, etc 

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so. 

How do i register?

You can use our Online Form to Register a Food Business; or download, complete and send thepdf icon Application for Registration of a Food Business [76kb].

Once the form is completed, registration cannot be refused.

There is no registration fee.

Premises in the area will be visited by us. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.


What about changes in my business?

Once you have registered with us, you need to notify us only if:

  • There is a change of owner - the new owner will have to complete an application form
  • The nature of the business changes
  • There is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept

If we wish to change the entry in the register because of information we receive from someone else, you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.