Search site

Council Tax

Council Tax levels, Council Tax discounts and exemptions, and the Council Tax support scheme

Council houses

Council Tax is used to pay for local services. As well as our own, it pays for services from North Yorkshire County Council, North Yorkshire Police Authority and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority. The Council Tax level for 2013/14 was set at Full Council on February 25th - Council Tax was frozen for a 3rd year.

Review of Empty Council Tax Properties

If you have been affected by the Review of Empty Council Tax Properties or received a letter from Capacity Grid please visit our Empty Properties Review  web page for further information.

Information for 2013/2014

For detailed information please read our leaflet pdf icon Council Tax leaflet 2013/2014 [735kb].

The element of Council Tax paid to North Yorkshire Police is explained in their leaflet: pdf icon NYP Council Tax leaflet 2013/2014 [1Mb], and the element paid to North Yorkshire County Council here: pdf icon NYCC Council Tax 2013/2014 [176kb]

Important changes from April 2013

Following a meeting of the Full Council on 11th December 2012, several changes to the discounts and exemptions currently available to the residents of Craven have been agreed.

Second home discount

This will no longer be available, all second homes will be charged at 100%.

Class A Exemption

To be abolished and replaced by the Local Discount Scheme.

Class C Exemption

To be abolished and replaced by the Local Discount Scheme.

Long term empty properties

Any property which has been empty for 2 or more years will incur a premium of 50%. This means that 150% charge will be payable.

Local discount scheme

This will replace the existing Class A and Class C exemptions. It will be valid for a maximum of 3 months.

All the above changes will come into force on 1st April 2013

If you currently pay by Direct debit, your instalment plan will automatically be updated: there is no need for you to take any action.