Search site

Council Tax

Council tax levels, council tax discounts and exemptions, and the council tax support scheme

Council tax is used to pay for local services. As well as our own, it pays for services from North Yorkshire County Council, North Yorkshire Police Authority and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority. The council tax level for 2016-2017 was set at Full Council on 25 February 2016.

Who is Liable to Pay?

Usually the person who lives in the property will pay the Council Tax, providing it is their sole or main residence and they are over 18 years of age.

If more than one person lives in the property, then it is the person who comes first on the following list who will pay:

  • owner who lives in the property
  • tenant who lives in the property
  • any person who lives in the property
  • owner who does not live in the property

People who are joint owners or joint tenants will be jointly and severally liable for the bill.  Married couples, and those living together as husband and wife, will also be jointly responsible for paying the bill whether or not hey have an equal interest in the property.

Change of Address

I you are moving, please let us know as soon as possible by telephoning our Customer Services team on 01756 700600.  Alternatively you can download a form, word icon Council Tax Change of Address form [236kb] complete it and return to Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ.