Search site

Housing standards

The Housing Standards Officer within the Environmental Health team works to improve housing conditions for people in Craven, protecting their health, safety and well-being.

Housing Standards Logo

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Business Safety website

For specific guidance for landlords please click here.


Private Sector Housing Stock Modelling

The initial report provides the outputs from the most recent BRE Housing Stock Models for Craven. It also sets out basic information concerning private sector housing, which is required by Local Authorities, in accordance with Housing Act 2004 s3, to inform their housing strategies and to allow partnership working with other bodies.

pdf icon Private Sector Housing Stock Model [22Mb]

Health Impact Assessment

The Health Impact Assessment gives information on the relationship between poor housing in Craven and the costs to the wider society and the NHS each year. The findings of the assessment were recently presented to Members, Officers and health professionals. The presentation demonstrated how being proactive in improving housing conditions could bring considerable cost savings to the public purse.

pdf icon Health Impact Assessment Presentation [1Mb]

  • Advice for tenants

    If you have concerns about the condition of your rented house or you are having problems with your landlord, you can contact our private sector housing officer within Environmental Health.

  • Advice for landlords

    If you have any queries or require advice about a property you let, you can contact our private sector housing officer within Environmental Health.

  • Energy Efficient HouseHelp to make your property energy efficient - grants, deals and advice

    Help to make your property energy efficient - grants, deals and advice

    We can help you to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

  • Winter Plus Project

    Help for Craven residents to keep warm and healthy over the winter months. Find out more here!

  • Empty residential properties

    Vacant dwellings can often have a seriously detrimental effect upon the condition and value of adjoining properties and on the local community. Usually, the longer dwellings remain empty, the greater their disrepair and risk of vandalism.

  • Houses in Multiple Occupation

    Craven District Council is committed to protecting the health, safety and welfare of all residents who live in 'Houses in Multiple Occupation'.

  • Accommodation certificates

    Accommodation certificates are required by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate of the Home Office and by the British High Commission in the relevant country, for any individuals requiring a visa application to enter and to reside in the UK with relatives, on a permanent or semi permanent basis.

  • Grants and Loans

    Grants and loans may be available for home owners, private sector landlords and tenants to pay for repairs, improvements and to make the property more energy efficient.

  • Social housing standards

    On 1 April 2012 the Tenant Services Authority (TSA) was abolished and the Homes & Communities Agency took over as the regulator of social housing.

  • Caravan Site Licence

    Caravan sites are controlled by the Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960 enforced by Local Authorities and require planning permission and a licence unless that are owned by the Council itself.

  • GasGas and electricity bills

    Gas and electricity bills

    This page gives you further information about initiatives that could help you to reduce your bills.