Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment if you are out of work or on a low income.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

Jobcentre Plus will administer Universal Credit although the Council will provide additional support to some claimants.

Claims for Universal Credit cannot be backdated unless there are exceptional circumstances. You MUST NOT delay making your claim.

Visit our benefit checker to see how you might be affected by Universal Credit and for more information about it.

You will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax within Universal Credit. A separate claim form will be required and evidence will need to be provided to Craven District Council.  

More information on Universal Credit is available on the UK Government Universal Credit website