Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Competent Persons and Building Control

An installer registered with a competent person scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with the building regulations and will deal with building control issues for you.

You'll usually have access to insurance-backed warranties and a robust complaints procedure to use in the unlikely event that work is found to be non-compliant.

An installer registered with a competent person scheme will notify the local authority on your behalf and will issue you with a certificate on completion. This can be used as proof of compliance. It'll also show up on a solicitor's local authority search when you sell your home.

If you don't use a registered installer you'll have to submit a building notice or full plans application and pay a fee to building control for inspection of the work you've carried out.

How to find a registered competent person: - 

for electrical work, visit the competent persons register
for roofers, visit competent roofers
for all other types of work, contact the competent person scheme operators

For more information, visit GOV.UK.