Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Demolition Control and Advice

What to do before demolishing a building or part of a building.

When intending to demolish a building or part of a building (excluding domestic), notice must be be given to the Local Authority. You should usually give a minimum of six weeks notice before work starts. The Council can make certain conditions about such things as the sealing of drains and the support and weatherproofing of adjacent buildings.

Download Notice of Demolition Form (Section 80) here (MS Word)

Download Notice of Demolition Form (Section 80) here (PDF)

The notice must clearly show the premises or part to be demolished and have a copy of a suitable location plan showing the premises, adjacent buildings and roads.

A copy of the notice my also need to be forwarded to: -

The prior written approval of the relevant Planning Authority may also be required for some demolition works.  You are advised to check with either Craven District Council or The Yorkshire Dales National Park Planning Authority as appropriate before starting any demolition works.

You should also contact North Yorkshire County Council Highways Department about any works or fencing affecting any footpaths or highways, or excavations in the Highway.

You will become legally liable for any damage caused to any highway, footpath, drain or infrastructure services caused during the demolition works.

You are advised to photograph all the area before the demolition commences and note any existing damage to streets, footpaths and adjoining buildings.