Your business / commercial waste obligations in summary
The Environmental Protection (Duty of Care) Regulations 1991 is a law which says that businesses must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe.
- The waste must be stored safely and securely and must not cause pollution to people or the environment.
- The waste must be packaged in suitable containers so that it cannot fall out, blow away or escape from the receptacle
- The waste must be secured against unauthorised removal as far as is reasonably practical. Security should be sufficient to prevent the breaking open of containers and removal of waste by vandals, thieves, animals, accident or weather
- Businesses must ensure that the person removing the waste is either from a local authority or a licensed waste collection company. They will be authorised to remove waste and transport and dispose of it safely
- The business must provide a written description of the waste to the person who removes it. This is known as a waste transfer note and must be completed by both persons involved in the transfer