Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Anti-Social Behaviour

Information about reporting and tackling anti-social behaviour.

Anti-Social Behaviour is a broad term used to describe the day-to-day incidents of crime, nuisance or disorder that can make a person’s life a misery – from litter and vandalism, to public drunkenness or aggressive dogs, to noisy or abusive neighbours.

The Safer Craven Hub co-ordinates and facilitates a multi-agency problem solving approach to tackle these issues as such a wide range of behaviours means that responsibility is shared between a number of organisations for example the police, council and social landlords.

To report Anti-Social Behaviour

  • Community anti-social behaviour issues - contact the Community Safety Hub on   01756 7096291 or 01756 706362. Or alternatively North Yorkshire Police on 101
  • Neighbour issues such as noisy dogs, fly tipping or loud music - contact the Environmental Health Team.
  • If you have been a victim of anti-social behaviour, you may come across the Community Remedy.
  • If you have reported 3 incidents within 6 months, you may be interested in the Community Trigger.

Tackling Anti-Social Behaviour

Dealing with anti-social behaviour can often be as complex as the behaviour is itself; and there may be different approaches (both informally and formally) taken to resolve the problem.

Informal Resolutions

Anti-social behaviour can be considered to be of a low level and better dealt with through an informal resolution.

Some of the more informal sanctions can be

  • giving the offender a warning either verbally or in writing;
  • reimburse for any damage caused;
  • getting the offender to identify, acknowledge and try to resolve the causes of the behaviour (i.e. does the offender only behave in a certain way when they have been drinking alcohol);
  • having the offender agree to an Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC) – a voluntary agreement between the offender and appropriate organisations such as the police, local council or housing provider that commits the offender to abide by the terms of the contract until such time as the anti-social behaviour has diminished.


Formal Powers and Tools

When informal sanctions have not stopped the anti-social behaviour from occurring, the police and council are able to look at more substantial and formal powers – often through the courts. The offenders will have to abide by these sanctions or face more serious punishment such as a prison sentence.

New powers were introduced in late 2014 and early 2015 as detailed below and more information on each can be found here.

Criminal Behaviour Order – granted in court on the back of any criminal conviction. The order will stop an individual from carrying out the anti-social behaviour but can also make them undertake a positive requirement to change their behaviour.

Civil Injunction – similar to the Criminal Behaviour Order but there does not have to be a criminal conviction to apply for an Injunction. An injunction can be granted against anyone aged over 10years and can be granted on the basis that an individual is likely to commit anti-social behaviour.

Community Protection Notice – can be issued by the council to stop unreasonable and persistent behaviour that is having a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those living in an area.

Public Spaces Protection Order – can be issued by the council to stop anti-social activities being carried out in a public space such as a local community park etc.

Dispersal Power – used by the police to move individuals out of a specified area for up to 48hrs.

Closure Power – used by the police or council to shut down premises or close off open space that is being used to cause anti-social behaviour for up to a maximum of 6 months.