Only specific parishes and voluntary or community organisations are able to nominate an Asset of Community Value. Craven District Council is not permitted to make nominations.
Those organisations specified within the regulations are set out below:
- A Parish Council
- A body designated as a neighbourhood forum
- An unincorporated body whose members include at least 21 individuals, with a local connection and does not distribute any surplus it makes to its members
- A charity
- A company limited by guarantee which does not distribute any surplus it makes to its members
- An industrial and provident society which does not distribute any surplus it makes to its members
- A community interest company
In addition the body must have a local connection, which means that its activities are wholly or partly concerned within the district of Craven.
How to nominate a Community Asset
A nomination has to include certain information. To ensure that you comply with the requirements, please use the Assets of Community Value Nomination form [101kb]
Guidance on the nomination and listing of Community Assets is also available to download Guidelines for the Nomination and Listing of Community Assets [47kb]
Paper forms can be submitted to the Partnerships Officer either by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- post: Kate Senior, Partnerships Officer, Craven District Council, Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, BD23 1FJ.
Community nominations may be made at any time, including after an asset has been put onto the market.
Categories of assets excluded from listing:
- Residential property, including gardens, outbuilding and other associated land.
- Land licensed for use as a residential caravan site
- Operational land of statutory undertakers as defined in section 263 of the town and Country Planning Act 1990
What happens following nomination?
The Council has to decide whether or not to list the asset, within eight weeks following the nomination.
We will use the following process to decide whether or not to list an asset
A Council Officer (The Partnerships Officer) will be the named point of contact for community groups to send their nominations to.
The Partnerships Officer will notify the following if an asset has been nominated:
- all owners
- lawful occupants (which could include a licensee) and
- parish council/meeting in which the land lies (or partly lies)
The Partnerships Officer will check the technical issues such as eligibility of the organisation making the nomination and in conjunction with:
- A Planning Policy Officer from either CDC or YDNP depending on location of nominated asset
- Relevant ward member(s)
Assess whether the asset complies with the definition of an asset of community value. The decision to list the Asset of Community Value will then be taken by the Director of Services.
The decision will be subject to a seven day call in period for Members to challenge the determination of whether or not assets are listed. In the event an application is " called in " within the seven day period, a Member Panel be established consisting of the relevant Ward Member(s) and the Lead Member for Empowering Communities and the Director of Services be given delegated authority to determine whether or not land or buildings are listed as "Assets of Community Value " in accordance with the Legislation and Operational Guidelines.
Publication of Registers
Both successful and unsuccessful nominations are publicised on two lists:
Register of Assets of Community Value in Craven
Register of Assets which have been nominated but not listed as Assets of Community Value in Craven
The entries are to be maintained for a period of five years unless altered or removed by virtue of disposal or change of circumstance.
The organisation which originally nominated the asset will be notified of the outcome, together with reasons if the application is unsuccessful. They will also be notified if the asset is subsequently removed from the list following a review of the decision. There is no right of review for a community interest group against a decision not to include an asset on the list.