Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Support for Ukraine

Find out how you can help to support people from Ukraine.

Donate to help Ukraine

One of the best ways to help is by donating cash through trusted charities and aid organisations, rather than donating goods. Cash can be transferred quickly to areas where it is needed and individuals and aid organisations can use it to buy what is most needed. There are a number of charities providing humanitarian relief in Ukraine including the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC).

Donate to the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC)

Apply to be a sponsor

The government has launched a new sponsorship scheme to make sure that Ukrainians who have been forced to flee their homes have a route to safety.

The scheme will match people, charities, businesses and community groups to Ukrainians who do not have family ties to the UK.

More details on the scheme can be found on the UK Government webpage


Anyone in the UK with a spare room or home can offer a home, as long as:

you can offer accommodation for at least 6 months

if you’re not a British citizen, you have leave to remain in the UK for at least 6 months

Ukrainian people arriving under the scheme will be able to live and work in the UK for up to three years and access healthcare, benefits, education, and English language tuition.

Information for sponsors

If you have been successful in your application to be a host sponsor and have been matched with a family from Ukraine, your details will be shared with your local council via the Governments online portal.

North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) and Craven District Council (CDC) will be in contact with you in due course to arrange a visit to meet with your family and the family members from Ukraine that you are sponsoring.

The purpose of the visit will be to carry out accommodation and safeguarding checks.

You will also be provided with information about accessing other support that will be available for the Ukrainians including making a claim for Universal Credit and other benefits, access to NHS services, and school places.

You will be contacted separately by NYCC Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to arrange for you and all members of your household who are aged over 16 to have a DBS check.

In the meantime if you require more information please contact NYCC on 01609 780 780 or visit

Red Cross Support for Ukrainians arriving in the UK

The British Red Cross supports people from Ukraine who are in the UK.

They have produced an

information leaflet for Ukrainians arriving in the UK

which is available on their website in English, Ukrainian and Russian.

For any more information about British Red Cross, or for emotional support please call the free British Red Cross support line: 0808 196 3651 (open between 10am - 6pm daily).

• If you need a support line interpreter, call and say: 'can I speak to an interpreter?'

• Якщо вам потрібен перекладач лінії підтримки, зателефонуйте і скажіть: 'can I speak to an interpreter?' (Ukrainian)

• Если вам нужен переводчик линии поддержки, позвоните и скажите: 'can I speak to an interpreter?' (Russian)