This scheme is now closed for new applications
There are 2 strands:
- Grants of up to £6,000 will be paid to non-essential retail business premises, to help them reopen safely.
- Grants of up to £18,000 will be allocated to hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises, which may open later under plans set out in the roadmap and will be more impacted by restrictions when they do reopen.
Non-essential retail premises:
- Rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 - £2,667
- Rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April - £4,000
- Rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 - £6,000
Hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises:
- Rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 - £8,000
- Rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April - £12,000
- Rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 - £18,000
Strand One - Non-essential retail
A non-essential retail business is a business where the primary purpose of products or services provided are not necessary to the health and well-being of the public.
The following list is not exhaustive but, as an indication, the business listed are not considered ‘non essential’ and will therefore be ineligible for a Restart Grant:
- food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops
- off licences
- animal rescue centres and boarding facilities
- building merchants
- petrol stations
- vehicle repair and MOT services
- bicycle shops
- taxi and vehicle hire businesses
- education providers including tutoring services
- building societies and other financial providers
- post offices
- funeral directors
- laundrettes and dry cleaners
- medical practices
- veterinary surgeries and pet shops
- agricultural supply shops
- garden centres
- storage and distribution facilities
- employment agencies and businesses
- office buildings
- automatic car washes
- mobility support shops
A hospitality business is a business whose main function is to provide a venue for the consumption and sale of food and drink.
The scheme excludes food kiosks and businesses whose main service is a takeaway (not applicable to those that have adapted to offer takeaways during periods of restrictions, in alignment with previous COVID-19 business grant schemes).
A leisure business is a business that provides opportunities, experiences and facilities, in particular for culture, recreation, entertainment, celebratory events and days and nights out The definition excludes all retai businesses, coach tour operators, tour operators and telescopes.
An accommodation business is a business whose main lodging provision is used for holiday, travel and other purposes. Private dwellings, education accommodation, residential homes, care homes, residential family centres, beach huts are all excluded from the scheme.
Gym & sports
A gym & sport business is defined as a commercial or non-profit establishment where physical exercise or training is conducted on an individual basis or group basis, using exercise equipment or open floor space with or without instruction, or where individual and group sporting, athletic and physical activities are participated in competitively or recreationally. Home gyms, home exercise studios, home sports courts and home sports grounds are all excluded from the scheme.
A personal care business is defined as a business which provides a service, treatment or activity for the purposes of personal beauty, hair, grooming, body care and aesthetics, and wellbeing.
The definition of a personal care business excludes:
- businesses that only provide personal care goods, rather than services;
- businesses used solely as training centres for staff, apprentices and others;
- businesses providing dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services which incorporate personal care services, treatments required by those with disabilities and services relating to mental health.
An application form is required for this grant even if you have received grants previously. This is because we need to collect some additional information.
We will record and retain all the information provided to us and this will be shared with Government on request, for use in evaluation and monitoring purposes. The information may also be used to prevent and detect fraud and / or other criminal activities.