Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

England is now in national lockdown. Please Stay Home, Protect the NHS & Save Lives

Coronavirus advice and information for residents

Maintaining the safety of everyone in Craven is our top priority and we’re working with our partners to closely monitor developments nationally and internationally.

Last updated: April 12th, 2021

We’re in regular contact with Public Health England to ensure the very latest guidance is communicated and implemented, as the situation continues to develop.

For more details on the Government's roadmap out of lockdown, go to

Changes on April 12th 2021

Business and activities

Step 2 of the Government's roadmap, from April 12, will see the opening of non-essential retail; personal care premises such as hairdressers and nail salons; and public buildings, including libraries and community centres. Indoor leisure facilities such as gyms will also reopen (but only for use by people on their own or in household groups); as will most outdoor attractions and settings including outdoor hospitality venues, zoos, theme parks, and drive-in cinemas. Self-contained accommodation such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, can also reopen.

Hospitality venues will be allowed to serve people outdoors at Step 2 and there will be no need for customers to order a substantial meal with alcoholic drinks and no curfew, although customers must order, eat and drink while seated (‘table service’). Wider social contact rules will apply in all these settings to prevent indoor mixing between different households.


While funerals can continue with up to 30 mourners, the number of people able to attend weddings, receptions and commemorative events such as wakes will rise to 15.

Changes on March 29th 2021

Social contact

The evidence shows that it is safer for people to meet outdoors rather than indoors. And this is why from 29 March, when most schools start to break up for the Easter holidays, outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people (the Rule of 6) or 2 households will also be allowed, making it easier for friends and families to meet outside.

Business and activities

Outdoor sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and open-air swimming pools, will also be allowed to reopen, and people will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports.


The ‘stay at home’ rule will end on 29 March but many restrictions will remain in place. People should continue to work from home where they can and minimise the number of journeys they make where possible, avoiding travel at the busiest times and routes. Travel abroad will continue to be prohibited, other than for a small number of permitted reasons. Holidays abroad will not be allowed, given it will remain important to manage the risk of imported variants and protect the vaccination programme. The government has launched a new taskforce to review global travel which will report on 12 April.

National lockdown: Stay at Home rule applies until March 29th

Summary: what you can and cannot do during the national lockdown

You must stay at home. The single most important action we can all take is to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.

You should follow this guidance immediately. The law will be updated to reflect these new rules.

Leaving home

You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

  • shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
  • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
  • attend education or childcare - for those eligible

Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term. Early Years settings remain open.

Higher Education provision will remain online until mid February for all except future critical worker courses.

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live. You may leave your local area for a legally permitted reason, such as for work.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work

Meeting others

You cannot leave your home to meet socially with anyone you do not live with or are not in a support bubble with (if you are legally permitted to form one).

You may exercise on your own, with one other person, or with your household or support bubble.

You should not meet other people you do not live with, or have formed a support bubble with, unless for a permitted reason.

Stay 2 metres apart from anyone not in your household.

Coronavirus cases are rising rapidly across the country. Find out more here: here:

On 20 September the Prime Minister's Office announced a new package to support and enforce self-isolation, including financial support for those on lower incomes who cannot work from home and have lost income as a result.

Find out more about UK Government self-isolation support packages

Isolation Support Payment

The Government has announced a new Isolation Support Payment. Details of this scheme are still being issued so please keep an eye on this page to ensure you have the latest information.

The scheme is intended to help residents who might feel unable to self-isolate due to financial concerns. The payment will enable people on lower incomes to self-isolate when they test positive or are identified as a contact. It is hoped that more people will get tested, which in turn will help reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and avoid further social and economic restrictions, including local lockdowns.

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the eligibility criteria listed below will be entitled to £500. This will be payable as a lump sum.

To be eligible for the Isolation Support Payment, an individual must be able to provide evidence that they:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive – this will include a Unique ID number
  • are employed or self-employed
  • are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result 
  • are currently receiving one or more of the following:
    • universal credit
    • working tax credit
    • income based employment and support allowance
    • income based jobseeker’s allowance
    • income support
    • housing benefit
    • pension credit

You must provide a recent bank statement and the payment will only be paid into the account of the person who is self-isolating. We may contact your employer for confirmation. These payments will be subject to income tax, but not National Insurance contributions.

Important: Applicants whose income is lower than normal because they are furloughed will not be eligible for a test and trace support payment. 

Payments will only be made to people who have been asked to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020. We expect to have our online application form in place soon and individuals who are eligible will be able to make a backdated claim. The scheme is scheduled to run until 31 January 2021.

If you receive a Self-Isolation Payment you MUST self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.

Find out more about NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements

A local discretionary scheme is also being developed; we anticipate that this will be aimed at helping those who have been asked to isolate but who may not meet fully meet all of the national benefit criteria required to qualify for an Isolation Support Payment. Further details will follow as the scheme is developed so please visit our website regularly as we may only be able to accept claims from people during the period of their self-isolation.

Apply for a Covid-19 Isolation Support Payment

Our services

Customer Services

Our telephone lines are operating as normal. 

The Council's Customer Service Reception at Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, is open from 9am until 1pm Monday to Friday.

If you have any enquiries please call the council on 01756 700600 or email

Council tax payments can be made online at

Waste Management

All waste collections are operating as normal. The government has issued guidance about the handling of waste, especially from households where someone has tested positive for, or is showing the symptoms of, the coronavirus.

Waste such as used tissues or cleaning cloths should be double-bagged and be put aside for 72 hours before being put out for collection, even if you have a wheelie bin.

Tissues, kitchen roll, paper towels, hand wipes, nappies and sanitary products cannot be recycled and must go in the green household waste bins.

Household waste recycling centres in Craven have now been reopened by North Yorkshire County Council but some restrictions are in place. For more information please go to

Craven District Council’s bulky waste collection service is currently still operating. If you have bulky waste for recycling or disposal either hold onto it until the Household Waste Recycling Centres are open again or arrange a bulky waste collection.

Please do not approach collection crews or refuse vehicles while they are out on collection rounds. It is important we maintain the social distancing measures, which include staying 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people.

Please don't fly tip - it is a criminal offence punishable by fine or imprisonment, a blot on our landscape and a potential threat to human health and that of wildlife and domesticated animals through injury or by polluting the environment.

Bereavement Services

Due to stringent government guidelines regarding Covid 19 and social distancing, we have had to make the decision to limit the amount of attendees to our cremation and burial services.

The number of people who can attend a service at Skipton Crematorium has been increased, from 10 to 15, as of July 6, 2020.

A maximum of 15 people can also stand outside the chapel building. All those who attend must observe the correct social distancing.

However, no more than 15 are allowed to congregate outside, as this is a breach of the Government’s guidelines.

Please do not attend if you fall in the high risk category or are showing any signs of Covid 19.

Our webcasting service, which is available up to 28 days after the service, is available for all chapel services, please contact the family and their Funeral Director for more information.

The Book of Remembrance chapel also reopened from Monday 6 July. The book will be open every day between the hours of 9am and 4pm including weekends and bank holidays. Please respect anyone already visiting the book and keep to the required social distance.

The book can be viewed online at any time by visiting

Appointments for families to lay to rest their loved ones' cremated remains within our cemeteries falls under the new government “rule of 6” regulations and therefore we request that no more than 6 persons attend an appointment.  The same regulations apply for families visiting their loved ones' resting places within our cemeteries.

We sincerely apologise for any distress the restrictions cause however, we have a duty of care to everyone attending our services and the staff working at the crematorium.

Craven District Council’s Bereavement Services can be contacted on 01756 796118 or

Car Parks

Car parks are open and charges have been reinstated.

Motorhome bays in Coach Street Car Park, Skipton, Greenfoot car park, Settle and at the Community Centre, Ingleton can be used for overnight stays from July 4th onwards in line with new Government guidance. 

No group activities are allowed, and residents are asked to be sensible and maintain social distancing.

All NHS, health and social care workers, and volunteers connected to those services, can obtain a parking permit from the NHS, local authorities or the Royal Voluntary Society.

The permit can only be used when you are on official duty. You can apply for a permit by sending an email to

You must provide a photo of your ID Badge, showing your name and photograph. Please send the email from your official NHS/Health/Social care work email address.

If you fit the criteria then please email your evidence, along with your vehicle registration, name and postal address and a permit will be posted to you with the terms and conditions of use.

Council Tax

We appreciate that this is a difficult time for many residents in Craven and that the COVID-19 virus is having a significant impact on the economy.

Your Council Tax pays for our essential services that are delivered to all residents in the district, so it is really important that if your circumstances have not changed that you continue to pay what you should, and maintain your direct debit payments, or payment plan, as detailed on your bill.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, there is support available and the Council can help you if you have been affected.

You should:

  1. Make sure that you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families this is Universal Credit from the DWP and Council Tax support from the Council.
  2. Get in touch with us. We would encourage anyone who is struggling, to contact us at so that we can ensure that you are getting all of the support that you are entitled to.
  3. We may be able to agree to a special payment plan.
  4. We can also look at your arrears so that we consider everything you owe to us and avoid any extra costs or charges.

Given the demands on our contact centre, we would request that all contact is via email to and we will come back to you promptly.

For more information on benefits and money please go to

Public Toilets​

High Street public toilets are open from 9am to 6pm.

Skipton Bus Station public toilets are open 24hrs a day.

Council and Committee Meetings

Council and committee meetings are taking place remotely and are being streamed on the Council's YouTube channel at

To find out when meetings are taking place, go to

Craven Leisure

Craven Leisure is open following Government guidance. Find out more about Craven Leisure classes and opening times

Aireville Park 

Aireville Park has remained open for daily exercise and recreation but any users of the park are required to observe social distancing. The children's playground is now open. 


The Council will not accept new complaints about the delivery of services until further notice. If a complaint is received, it will be recorded and acknowledged, but no action will be taken to resolve it. The complainant will be given an apology, and advised of this action. There will be no right of appeal to the Chief Executive against such decisions.

Information Requests 

We will continue to receive and record requests for information, whether under the Freedom of Information Act, Environmental Information Regulations or for personal data the Data Protection Act. 

Where possible, we will reply in accordance with the statutory requirements and timescales. If this is not possible, we may ask you to resend the request after Council services have returned to normal. Requests for internal reviews of decisions will not be accepted.

Rough Sleeping

Craven District Council will be accommodating all rough sleepers during the current crisis. Please contact us directly on 01756 706475 during office hours and then after 5pm on our out of hours number: 01653 699392.  

We are short of self contained accommodation, so would welcome any offers of holiday cottages or caravans that we could use. Please contact if you are able to help with this. 

Housing Options and Floating Support Team

Our housing team is operating as normal - email

Adaptations Service

We’ll try to complete any current cases where possible. We’ve been in touch with clients and contractors to update them.

We have suspended visits by our caseworkers and technical services staff (Bowman Riley Architects Ltd) for all cases.

Occupational Therapists

North Yorkshire County Council are carrying out home visits where clients are not self-isolating. However, this may change if they are presented with urgent cases which have immediate impact upon health and NHS capacity.

If you need to contact the Adaptations Service please email or call 01756 706 392 and the Adaptations Manager will call you back.

Planning and Building Control

Face to face appointments with the Duty Planning Service will not be available from Thursday November 5, in line with the Government's new national lockdown regulations. 

After December 2, we hope this service will resume, when appointments with a duty planning officer will be available strictly by appointment only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9.30am and 12.30pm. Each booking is limited to a maximum of 20 minutes.  

To book an appointment, please telephone the Planning Support Team on 01756 706470. You will be asked to provide your name, contact details, application number and/or full postal address of the site and a brief summary of your enquiry. All details will be available to the Officer prior to the appointment. 

We are taking written enquiries via the duty officer written enquiry form on our website: Make an online planning enquiry

We will try to give a written response within 10 days but in the current circumstances this may be longer.

If you need to ask us whether planning permission is required please see the Do I need planning permission? page.

Contacting your Planning Officer

Please send an email to quoting the reference number and to include as much information as possible.

Building Control

Any email enquiries can be sent to

Environmental Health

Our Environmental Health services are running. Officers are following government advice to restrict visits to essential visits only. Priority is still given to issues of safety and each call will be reviewed and assessed.

Environmental Health and Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Protecting yourself

New travel advice, information and restrictions are coming into place on a daily basis.

Remember - prevention is always better than cure. As with the flu virus, the most effective way to protect yourself from Covid-19 Coronavirus is to adopt good respiratory and hand hygiene to prevent the risk of infection and a ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach to coughs and sneezes.

The best way to protect yourself and others is:

  • wash your hands with soap and water, or use a sanitiser gel, regularly throughout the day
  • catch your cough or sneeze in a tissue, throw away the used tissue, bin it, and wash your hands
  • if you don’t have a tissue, use your sleeve
  • avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
  • avoid close contact with people who are unwell

Guidance and information

What is coronavirus 

Read the latest UK government Coronavirus advice 

You can find out more about the symptoms and risks from Public Health England

Staying home guidance:

Social distancing guidance:

Guidance for employers and businesses in providing advice about the novel coronavirus

Read the Government advice for social or community care and residential settings on COVID-19

Coronavirus support for employees, benefit claimants and businesses:

Healthwatch North Yorkshire has compiled a links section with information and advice about the pandemic for people with specific medical conditions and topics such as autism, bereavement, community activity, accessible information on coronavirus, dementia, homelessness, volunteering, scams and domestic abuse:

If you have recently arrived back from a trip abroad please follow the returning traveller advice

Guidance for schools and other educational settings