Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

It's OK to Ask for Help

Sources of help and advice if you are anxious or worried, suffering financial hardship or at risk of unemployment due to Covid19.

Download an easy read copy of this leaflet here: It's OK to Ask Easy Read leaflet

It’s OK to A S K for help

A     Ask, Advice, Act

Help is out there – Listed below you will find information about support and advice available, covering everything from finance to food. Reach out to these organisations and they can support you. Take the first step by talking to friends and family.

S     Search for Support

Check the list of support organisations below, visit their websites, or telephone for further support and resources. For more local information, please go to or contact Craven District Council on 01756 700 600 or 

K     Kindness is Key

Feeling overwhelmed, depressed or perhaps at risk of abuse and need someone to talk to? Be kind to yourself and ask for help. If you have a neighbour, friend, or loved one who you think might be vulnerable or isolated please get in touch with them and see how you can help.

Help with Emotional Support and Wellbeing 

Your GP - They are there to help if you’re worried and may be able to offer an emergency appointment.

First Response - If you are experiencing a mental health crisis ring First Response (an NHS service) on 01274 221181

Samaritans - They are not just for people in crisis, but for anyone who wants to talk about how they are feeling. It’s free to call 116 123 from a landline or mobile 24/7. You can also email or visit

Childline - free advice & support for anyone under 19. Phone 0800 1111 or visit

IDAS - Comprehensive support & advice to victims & survivors of domestic abuse. Phone 03000 110110, email or visit

Mind - Advice & support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Phone 0300 123 3393 text 86463, email or visit

Anxiety UK - For support with anxiety. Phone 03444 775774, text 07537 416 905 or visit

Grief and Loss Support Service - For anyone in Craven suffering any form of grief or loss, or those worried about losing someone. Phone 0808 1963833 or visit

Safeguarding - If you are worried that a child or vulnerable adult might be suffering neglect or abuse call North Yorkshire County Council on 01609 780780 or visit for further advice. If someone is in immediate danger call the police on 999.

Carers Resource - If you are an unpaid carer and need emotional or practical help to enable you to cope, phone 01756 700888, email or visit

Help with bills, benefits, housing and employment advice

Skipton Food Bank - Gives food, toiletries and other essential items to anyone in emergency need in the Craven area. Phone 07856 080194 or visit

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - The DWP has created a website around Universal Credit and COVID-19 which provides information on employment and benefits support with advice on housing, furlough, sick pay, self-employment, advice for employers, those already claiming and those making a new claim. Visit

Jobcentre Plus - If you are looking for employment advice visit or contact Skipton Jobcentre Plus to find out what support they can offer. For new claims phone 0800 055 6688, for existing claims call 0800 169 0310, and for queries about Universal Credit call 0800 328 9344 or email

Help with Council Tax & Housing Benefit - If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, there is support available and Craven District Council can help you. We encourage anyone who is struggling to contact us at or call 01756 700 600 so that we can ensure that you are getting all of the support that you are entitled to.

Housing & Homelessness - If you are having difficulty managing your tenancy or housing costs, the Craven District Council Housing Options Team can provide advice. If you are an owner-occupier in difficulty with your mortgage you may be able to apply for an interest free secured loan through the Breathing Space scheme. For further details contact the Housing Options team: phone 01756 706 475 or email

Citizens Advice - Provides a range of advice on topics including employment issues, consumer problems, rent/landlord/housing issues on their national website, You can also contact your local Citizens Advice office on 01756 457222 or email via

Shelter - Get confidential advice on housing, welfare benefits and debt management. Contact 0808 8004444 or visit

National Debtline - A charity that gives free and independent advice. Phone 0808 808 4000 or visit 

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) - A charity offering free debt help to people from all backgrounds. For more information on this free service go to  To book a free appointment phone 0800 328 0006 or email your local Debt Centre Manager, Ruth Howard-Birt at

Leeds Credit Union - Provides weekly savings tips, budgeting solutions, low cost loans (rates from 3.9%) and savings accounts. Visit

ACAS - Provides free and impartial advice on employment law and rights, workplace relations, best practice and policies to employers, employees and their representatives. Visit or phone the helpline on 0300 123 1100.