This advice is for business owners in the area who operate premises where the public visit.
You may already be offering these services, or you may be thinking about how you can do this safely in the future.
Before opening to the wider public you must consider the Government’s guidance on working safely during COVID-19 in shops and branches.
You may also want to think of alternatives to people visiting your premises, for example operating a ‘click and collect’ service or offering appointments.
What does the law say?
The Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974 applies to all workplaces. It requires employers to take reasonable steps to ensure the health and safety of employees whilst at work and others who may be affected by what they do; this includes members of the public and visitors. COVID 19 is a risk to health that must be managed by the employer, in order to comply with the law.
Before reopening you should ensure the safety of your premises by:
- Carrying out a COVID-19 risk assessment
- Developing cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures for staff and customers
- Helping members of staff work from home, where possible
- Maintaining 2m social distancing between staff and customers, where possible
- Where people cannot be 2m apart, manage the transmission risk.
To assist businesses managing the risk of Covid-19 Craven District Council has produced this advice leaflet, which provides some practical measures which can be implemented in your premises. The measures detailed are not exhaustive but provide a starting point for you and your business.
Government advice for food businesses is available here:
Food hygiene guidance
Reopening and adapting your food business during Covid-19
Checklist for food businesses during Covid-19
You can access and download further guidance below.
- Craven District Council Retail Opening Advice
- COVID-19 Risk Assessment Template
- Adapting restaurants and food businesses for takeaway and food delivery during COVID-19
- Covid-19 Health and Safety Executive working safely guidance
- Covid-19 - safe working guidance for restaurants and takeaways
- Working safely during Covid-19 in shops
- Covid-19 advice for hotels and other guest accommodation
- Government Guidance on The Visitor Economy
- COVID-19: Guidance for the safe use of multi-purpose community facilities
- POSTER Staying COVID-19 Secure in 2020
- Working safely during Covid-19 in factories, plants and warehouses
- Working safely during Covid-19 in offices and contact centres