Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Council Tax Appeals

You may appeal against your Council Tax banding or your liability to pay.
Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.


Council Tax Banding appeals

There are only limited occasions when council taxpayers can challenge their banding and these include:

Where there has been a material increase or material reduction (explained below) in the dwelling's value.

Where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes.

Where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer (your appeal must be made within six months of the change being made by the Listing Officer).

Where you become a taxpayer in regard of a dwelling for the first time (your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again.)

Material increase in value

This may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after the sale of the property - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

Material reduction in value

This may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

How to make a banding appeal

Appeals against the banding of your property should be made to the Valuation Office Agency. There is information and advice on their website page 'What to do if you disagree with your council tax banding' or you can telephone them on 03000 501501.

Other appeals

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay the Council Tax bill. Examples might be because you are not the resident or the owner, or because the property is exempt, or that your billing authority has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds then write to us at Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ, so that your case may be reconsidered.