Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Council Tax for students

There are two types of reduction which may apply if a property is occupied by a student - an exemption, or a 25% discount.

25% Discount

A 25% discount is applicable if all the adults in the property, except one, are students or fall into any other of the special categories mentioned on the left.

Unoccupied property

Exemptions are applicable to unoccupied properties which:

  • were last occupied by the owner (or tenant) as his/her sole or main residence; and,
  • the owner (or tenant) has remained a student for the whole of the period since leaving the dwelling (or has become a student within 6 weeks of leaving).

When is a person classed as a student?

A person is regarded as a student for Council Tax purposes if he/she is either:

1. Undertaking a full-time course of education.

This applies to those attending a university or college course which lasts for at least an academic year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term-time. Please note that the hours of study must be more than the time taken by work experience, except for Initial Teacher Training courses.

2. Undertaking a qualifying course of education.

This applies to those people under the age of 20 and studying for more than three months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard. It does not apply to correspondence courses, evening classes, or courses taken in connection with a person's job, such as day release.

3. A student nurse on a Project 2000 course.

Student nurses studying academic courses at universities or colleges, or who are on Project 2000 courses, will be considered as students for Council Tax purposes.

4. A foreign language assistant.

This applies to those people registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges

5. A non-British partner of a student.

This applies to a student's spouse or dependant being either case a person who is now a British Citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his/her leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits.

In addition, students under the age of 20 will be classed as students for Council Tax between the end of their course and the following 1st November provided that hey do not leave their course until after the previous 30th April.

How to apply

Please fill in the Council Tax Student Discount Application form and return to Customer Services.

You will need to supply a student certificate from the college or educational establishment you are attending. If you qualify, the Council will send you a revised Council Tax bill.

You are legally obliged to inform the Council of any change of circumstances which may affect your discount/exemption. For example, you should notify the council within 21 days if you leave your course early or another adult moves into your property.


Download Student Discount Application Form