Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Council Tax Information

Most properties are subject to Council Tax, which helps to pay for the cost of local services.

Who is Liable to Pay?

Usually the person who lives in the property will pay the Council Tax, providing it is their sole or main residence and they are over 18 years of age.

If more than one person lives in the property, then it is the person who comes first on the following list who will pay:

  • owner who lives in the property
  • tenant who lives in the property
  • any person who lives in the property
  • owner who does not live in the property

People who are joint owners or joint tenants will be jointly and severally liable for the bill. Married couples, and those living together as husband and wife, will also be jointly responsible for paying the bill whether or not they have an equal interest in the property.

If you are in receipt of a Council Tax Discount and there is a change in your circumstances, you need to let us know as soon as possible.

To report a change in circumstances please email: or telephone 01756 700600.