Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Privacy Notice – Electoral Services

This Notice provides details of the information that we collect from you, what we do with it and who it might be shared with.

What information do we collect from you?

When you apply to go on the electoral register, we will collect your personal data including your name, any previous names, home and email addresses and telephone number. We will also ask you for your date of birth, nationality, and National Insurance number. We may ask to see documentary evidence to support your request to register to vote. 

Why do we collect this information?

We collect this information so as to allow you to vote in elections in the District. It is a legal requirement that you provide this information.

Who might we share this information with?

So as to verify your identity, the Council is required to share the personal data that you have provided with the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service managed by the Cabinet Office. As part of this process, your personal data will also be shared with the Department for Work and Pensions and the Cabinet Office suppliers that are data processors for the Individual Electoral Registration Digital Service. You can find more information about this here:

By law, the open register can be bought by any person or organisation. If you have not opted out of the open register, your name and address will be included on this version of the register. If you wish to opt out of the open register, you can do so here, or you can send us an e-mail to with your name and address and your request, or you can telephone our office on 01756 706224.

The Council is also required by law to share the full register with other people and organisations for specified reasons, including electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime, and for checking identities of people who apply for credit. The Representation of the People Regulations 2001 explain which people and organisations can have a copy of the register, and what they can use it for. A paper copy of the full register can also be viewed in person at our offices.

What do we do with your information?

The personal data that you have provided will be used for electoral purposes only. We will not use it for any other purpose, unless we have your consent, or this is required by law.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

The Council will keep hold of your personal data in accordance with the requirements of the Representation of the Peoples Act 1983. 

How can I access the information you hold about me?

By making a Subject Access Request and going onto the Council’s website at or by writing to the Electoral Registration Officer, Craven District Council, Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ. You will be asked for evidence to prove your identity. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office as it can investigate compliance with data protection law: