Craven District Council

Craven District Council

Register of Electors

Electoral Services are responsible for updating and publishing the Register of Electors.

The Register of Electors is a list of all the residents in Craven who are eligible to vote in elections. It is compiled each year, following a canvass by post and personal visits to houses in the District during September, October and November, and the new register is published on 1 December each year.

The register is not a static document however. At the beginning of nine months, from January to September, we update the register by adding the names of new applicants, by removing the names of electors who have died or moved away, and by altering names, for example, where electors have married.

The Electoral Register is a public document, but you can only inspect it as a paper copy under supervision at 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ, where you will, by appointment, only be able to make hand-written notes of its contents which, by law, you will not be allowed to use for any direct marketing purposes.

Register to vote

The way we all register to vote changed in June 2014. The new system is called 'Individual Electoral Registration'. Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head' of every household could register everyone who lived at their address.

You need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

  1. Go to
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  3. Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered.

Will I need to do anything?

1) Look out for a letter between July and August

Most people who are already registered to vote will be registered automatically under the new system. They do not need to do anything. However, some people will need to take action to join the new register. We are writing to people to tell them whether they need to take action.

2) Respond to the letter if you are asked to

The letter will tell you whether you are on the new register or whether you need to take action. It will tell you what to do.

To find out more go to

Changing Your Name

If you need to change your name on the electoral roll after getting married or after changing your name by deed poll, you can do so either by registering to vote again at, making sure to complete the section where it asks if you have changed your name, or you can send us a photocopy of your marriage certificate/deed poll document by post or email using the contact details below.

Two Versions of the Register

The Government has changed the law so that you have some choice about the use of your personal information, which you supply for the purposes of registering as an elector.  Under the changes, there are two versions of the Register, (1) the Electoral Register and (2) the Open Register, which can be described as follows:

(1) Electoral Register - This lists everyone who is entitled to vote.  You can inspect it the Register, but you can't photocopy it.  Inspection of the Register is allowed under supervision and you can make hand-written notes when inspecting it.  You can check the Register by calling at the Council's Offices at our Belle Vue Square address.

Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the Electoral Register, and they can only use it for specified purposes.  These include electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit.

The Representation of the People Regulations 2001 say who can have a copy of the Electoral Register and what they can use it for.  It is a criminal offence for the information to be passed on to anyone else for use for any other purpose.

(2) Open Register - This leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for their information to be excluded from the Open Register.

You can buy a copy of the Open Register and its contents may be used for any purpose.

Opting out of the Open Register

You can choose whether or not you want your details to appear in the Open Register. Asking for your details to be withheld from the Open Register is known as 'opting-out'.

You can opt out quickly and easily by using our online form Online opt out of Open Register.

You can send us an e-mail to with your name and address and your request, or you can telephone our office on 01756 706224.

Opting-out of the Open Register will not affect your voting rights or credit status.

When the register is updated you will receive an acknowledgement letter in the post.