Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Flooding Advice

Find out how the council can help with flooding advice, support and recovery.

Craven District Council may provide sandbags to limit the effect of the flooding or investigate the condition of drainage systems or watercourses which are the source of the flood. North Yorkshire County Council has powers under the Land Drainage Act to require owners of watercourses to carry out maintenance and repair works.

How to request sandbags

To request sandbags call Craven District Council on 01756 700600 or, outside office hours, call 01653 699 392 and we will respond as quickly as possible.

What to do in a flooding emergency

It is the responsibility of landowners to protect their properties from flooding. We can offer an emergency supply of sandbags if there is an unexpected or serious threat of flooding to premises. Sandbags can be sent to sites where the current levels of protection are likely to fail, resulting in flood damage to buildings or their contents.

Please note:

  • during severe storms roads may become blocked, and the call for help may exceed the available resources resulting in delays in response.
  • this is a voluntary service ­and we cannot guarantee to deliver sandbags at all the sites that might need them.

 To check if you are in a property at risk from flooding contact the Environment Agency.