Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council


Smoke may be classed as a statutory nuisance under Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Environmental Protection will investigate problems with neighbours' bonfires. Before contacting us please read the guidance below:

What Should I Do If A Bonfire Is Causing Me A Nuisance?

  1. Approach the person causing the nuisance and politely make them aware of this. Often people are not aware that they are causing a nuisance.
  2. If speaking to the person directly does not help you can make a complaint to the council. If, after an investigation, the council decides that the bonfire is causing a nuisance, they will approach the person responsible and ask them to stop. If they refuse, a notice may be served to stop them having bonfires. Failure to do this could lead to court action and a fine of up to £5000.

If I Have A Bonfire What Can I Do To Reduce The Potential Nuisance To Others?

  1. Avoid having one when the wind is blowing in the direction of your neighbours.
  2. Never use petrol, methylated spirits or similar to light the fire.
  3. Never leave the fire unattended.
  4. Ensure that plastics, painted materials, plywood and chipboard are NOT burned as they can give off poisonous chemicals - some of which can cause cancer

The Environmental Protection UK website has online fact sheets about garden bonfires and advice about common problems, alternatives to bonfires and the law relating to them.