Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Homeless Information and Advice

Help available to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to try and enable them to stay in their homes or to help find them alternative accommodation.

If you are having problems in your current accommodation and are at risk of losing it, we can help. If we can’t prevent you from becoming homeless, we will tell you what help you are entitled to under the homeless legislation, and the housing options that are available to you  

Homeless Prevention

There are many reasons why people feel they can’t stay in their present home such as:  

  • Asked to leave by parents
  • Received notice from landlord
  • Need to move to cheaper or smaller property
  • Loss of job or reduction in income
  • Disrepair or other tenancy issues.
  • Rent or Mortgage arrears
  • Health or mobility problems.

The Housing Options Service and our partners can help with all these issues and more. Some of the services available in the district are:

Family Mediation

We have a worker for those aged 16-25 who can provide mediation and support to deal with problems at home, and advice.   

Resolving Tenancy Issues 

Help with Rent

Discretionary Housing Payments give extra help towards your rent for a limited period of time. You must be in receipt of assistance with your housing costs to qualify and need extra help due to a change in your circumstances that is no fault of your own. 

Help with Mortgage problems

Our Breathing Space scheme offers an interest free loan to homeowners   

Debt and Budgeting Advice

If you are struggling with your housing costs as a result of debt, we can negotiate affordable repayments with your creditors.

Housing Support

The Council has specialist workers that offer support to those who are at risk of homelessness. Some of the things they can help with are: 

  • applying for local grants for furniture
  • applying for housing costs and other benefits
  • tackling rent arrears or other debts. 
  • learning to budget properly and look after your home
  • work with landlords and sort out issues with utility companies and other organisations
  • find other services which can support or help  with specific problems for example, health and debt management
  • get more involved with your local community
  • find education, employment and training

To make a referral email us on

Court Desk and Help to Defend Possession Proceedings

Yorkshire Legal provide a Court Advisor at Skipton County Court to assist and represent people facing eviction and repossession. They will check that your landlord or mortgage lender has followed the correct procedures and help you to make a defence claim.  

Adaptations to Your Home

If you are disabled and struggling to manage in your home, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant to do work such as fitting a stair lift, putting in a ramp or a shower. If you rent from a social landlord they may do some minor works themselves, e.g. handrails

Advice for Specific Client groups

In addition to general advice, we also provide information on services to meet the needs of the following groups:


Useful Resources

Horton Housing provide a range of services to support homeless people 
Shelter is a national charity which gives practical housing advice and support.
Citizens Advice offer advice on a wide variety of subjects
Money Advice Service offer practical advice on money, debts and budgeting.