Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Housing options for older people

Sheltered Housing, Extra Care Housing and Residential Care

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing is for people who want to maintain independence but have the reassurance of help in an emergency

Properties are usually self-contained flats or bungalows with the services of a warden, a visiting warden and/or emergency alarms. Some common features of sheltered housing include:

  • help from a scheme manager (warden), or support staff
  • 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system
  • communal areas, such as gardens or lounges
  • social activities for residents.

The following housing associations provide sheltered housing to rent in Craven:

  • Anchor Hanover          Townhead Court, Settle; Sunnybank House,Glusburn; 
                                       Townend Close, Cross Hills; Waterside, Skipton;
                                       The Meadows, Skipton. 

  • Yorkshire Housing   Laurel Croft, Embsay.  

To apply for a property with Yorkshire Housing, you must be registered with North Yorkshire Home Choice. Anchor advertise some of their properties on North Yorkshire Home Choice but also have their own waiting list, so we would advise you to contact them directly. 

Please see Apply for Social Housing page for further details on how to make an application for social housing in Craven.

For more detailed information about sheltered housing including properties to buy, visit the Age UK website

Extra Care Housing

Extra care housing offer more support than sheltered housing but still allows you to live independently.

You live in a self-contained flat, with your own front door, but staff are usually available up to 24 hours per day to provide personal care and support services. These are tailored to you and can include help with washing, dressing, going to the toilet and taking medication. Domestic help, such as shopping and laundry, and meals may also be provided.

Extra Care developments may offer homes to buy or rent, and some are a mixture of both. All generally offer a choice of one and two bedroom accommodation, a restaurant for those who want/need it, social activities and other facilities. The care and support staff are based on the premises 24 hours a day. 

The following organisations provide Extra Care housing in Craven:          

  • Abbeyfield                  Woodlands, Skipton.
  • Housing & Care 21     Limestone View, Settle. Eller Beck Court, Skipton.
                                      Bowland View, Bentham.

More information is available on North Yorkshire County Council's Extra care housing webpage, or visit Age UK.

Residential Care

Care homes provide accommodation for older persons who require 24 hour support.

Residents have a room, sometimes with their own en-suite bathroom, and access to shared facilities. These homes will help with personal care as necessary, supervise or administer medication, provide meals and offer social activities. They can normally provide care during short illnesses but they do not provide long-term nursing care - there are specialist care homes that can provide this level of support - these are commonly known as Nursing Homes.

More information is available from North Yorkshire County Council and specialist advice organisations such as Independent Age and Age UK. is a charity run site providing free advice on elderly care, including specialist directories & information on nursing homes and residential care homes, as well as sheltered housing, extra care housing and retirement villages, across the UK.