Craven District Council

Craven District Council

Apply for social housing

Social housing is affordable housing available to rent or buy.

This page explains how to register for housing association properties advertised through North Yorkshire Home Choice and/or directly to those housing associations with their own waiting lists.

Craven District Council is part of the North Yorkshire Choice Based Lettings Partnership, which consists of six North Yorkshire local councils and partner social landlords. 

Nearly 90% of rented social housing in Craven is advertised through HomeChoice. The remaining 10% is held by housing associations who hold their own waiting lists.  For information on the social housing stock in Craven, where in the district it is located, what type of properties and the quantity of each type of dwelling, please see our Social Housing Stocklist.

For information about properties available to buy, please go to our Low cost home ownership options web page.


How to register for North Yorkshire Home Choice

The quickest and easiest way to register is online via the North Yorkshire HomeChoice website.

You can also complete a paper application form which you can download from the website.  Instructions on where to send your completed form and the supporting documents required can be found on the form.

Who is eligible to register for North Yorkshire Home Choice?

Anyone aged 16 or over may apply to join the register (subject to restrictions for 16 and 17 year olds), however there are certain people who are excluded, such as:

  • do not have a local connection to the Partnership area (except Armed Forces)
  • are subject to immigration control
  • have a combined income/savings of £60,000 pa.

Full details about about qualifications and exclusions can be found in the North Yorkshire Common Allocation Policy on the North Yorkshire HomeChoice website 

Supporting others to use HomeChoice

Some of our customers may need a friend or support worker to help them use this scheme.

To assist people supporting others to register and bid for properties the following documents are available:

 

Fair Processing Notice & Data Matching

This authority is required to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for; auditing, or administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud.


About other housing associations and their waiting lists 

Not all housing associations and providers advertise all of their properties via North Yorkshire HomeChoice because continue to manage their own waiting lists or they provide specialist accommodation for rent or purchase - such as Extra Care housing, Sheltered Accommodation, shared ownership and other low cost home ownership options or leasehold schemes for elderly persons.  The tables below show the housing associations which have affordable homes for rent, their contact details and the location of their stock:

General needs and older persons accommodation (i.e. over 55):

Accent Group (Yorkshire)
Tel: 0345 678 0550
Jeremy Downs House, Senior Way, BRADFORD, BD5 0QB
Properties in Cononley, Grassington,
Skipton
Leeds & Yorkshire Housing Association Ltd
Tel: 0113 278 3335
2 Shire Oak Road, LEEDS, LS6 2TN
Properties in Settle, Sutton in Craven

Older persons accommodation only (i.e. over 55):

Abbeyfield (Settle)
Tel: 0779 407 2651
Abbeyfield House, 41 Lower Greenfoot, SETTLE, BD24 9RB
Settle
Abbeyfield (Skipton)
Tel: 01756 791860
Woodlands, Woodlands Drive, SKIPTON, BD23 1QU
Skipton
Anchor Retirement Homes
Tel: 0300 123 7002 or 0345 140 2020
2 Goodwin Street,BRADFORD, BD1 2ST
Glusburn/Crosshills, Settle,
Skipton
Butterfield Homes
Tel: 01422 244788
Wheatlands Lane,CROSSHILLS, Nr Keighley, BD20 8JL
Glusburn/Crosshills
Together Housing

Tel: 0300 555 5561

Royd House, Low Mills, Guiseley, Leeds, West Yorkshire. LS20 9LU

Skipton
Housing & Care 21
Tel: 0370 192 4000
Tricorn House, 51-53 Hagley Road, BIRMINGHAM, B16 8TP
Settle
James Knowles Trust
Moorgate Cottage, Maypole Green, LONG PRESTON, BD23 4PJ
Long Preston
Lune Valley (Adactus Housing Group)
Tel: 0300 111 1133
Ann James House, 32-34 St Thomas Road, CHORLEY, PR7 1HR
Gargrave, Ingleton
North Craven Preservation Trust Ltd
Tel: 01282 877686
6 Chapel Street, SETTLE, BD24 9HS
Settle 
Sanctuary Housing (Sanctuary Transfers only)
Tel: 0800 131 3348
Sanctuary Housing, 6 Killingbeck Court, LEEDS, LS14 6UF
Cowling, Grassington,
Kilnsey, Litton, Low Bentham,
Settle, Skipton, Tosside
Skipton Town Council (Heap Parkinson Homes)
Tel: 01756 700553
2nd Floor, 49 High Street, SKIPTON, BD23 1DT
Skipton
Staincliffe Housing Association
Tel: 01756 752086
9 Elbolton Flats, Hebden Road, GRASSINGTON, BD23 5LH
Grassington

To find out more about housing options available in Craven, please go to our Housing information and advice web page.