Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Personal Licence

Personal Licence

Due to officers currently working remotely please submit applications to

Upon receipt instructions for making payment will be provided. 

A Personal Licence authorises the holder to supply alcohol or authorises the supply of alcohol in accordance with a Premises Licence.

To complete the application you will need:

  • The application fee which is £37.00
  • Two photographs, one of which is endorsed with a statement verifying the likeness of yourself to the photograph by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.  The person who endorses the photograph will also need to complete the appropriate page of the application form.
  • A personal licence qualification.  A Personal licence qualification can be obtained from a number of providers. The course normally lasts one day and costs around £150 to £200. There is an exam at the end of the course which lasts around 40 minutes. For a list of accredited training providers please see the website here.
  • Evidence of your right to work - Acceptable documents
  • Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check - How to apply.

When making an application please be aware we will need to see original documents.  The issue date on the DBS certificate must be no older than 28 days when we receive it. We will not accept copies, with the exception of your right to work evidence. Applications can be made by hand to our offices or by post. We are unable to take cash payments.

Change of Address or Name

If you hold a personal licence and change your name or address you are required to notify your issuing authority and submit a change of details application along with a fee of £10.50. You will be required to return your current licence and badge back to us. You must also submit a new up-to-date photo in order for us to process the application.

Renewing a Personal Licence

The Deregulation Act 2015 came into effect on the 1 April 2015, and abolished the requirement to renew personal licences. Instead personal licences will carry on indefinitely until such time that they are either surrendered or revoked.

Can I still use my existing personal licence, even though it appears to have expired?

Yes. Because the requirement to renew has been abolished, the expiry date no longer applies.

Can I get my licence updated to remove the expiry date?

Yes. All newly issued personal licences will have the expiry date removed, and this will be done automatically the next time you apply to update your licence; for example if you change name or address. However, if you wish to have your licence updated to remove the expiry date, you can apply for a newly issued "copy" of your licence. To do so you will need to supply us with:

  • A written request to replace your licence, providing your full name and address.
  • Your existing licence or an explanation as to why it cannot be returned.
  • The £10.50 administration fee. This can be paid by either a cheque made payable to Craven District Council or by card.

Do I need to change my photo?

No. There is currently no requirement to update your photo. However you may run into difficulties if you no longer resemble the photo printed on your personal licence. Therefore we strongly recommend that you get your photo updated at least every 10 years (in line with the requirements of driving licences and passports). As with any change to a personal licence, this will incur a £10.50 administration fee. You need only pay a single fee if making multiple changes at the same time.