Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Premises Licence

Premises Licence

Due to officers currently working remotely please submit applications to

Upon receipt instructions for making payment will be provided. Where hard copies of documents are required we will provide further instructions for submitting these documents.

To provide late night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol, you need a licence from the local authority if you are in England and Wales. Almost any business that carries on one or more licensable activities will need a premises licence, including takeaways and late night cafes.

EU Services Directive

This activity is within the scope of the Directive. If you are setting up/running a business in the UK, but are based overseas from another EU state, you may find the UK welcomes business licence and regulation tool useful, in addition to the council's own web pages.

Eligibility criteria

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • a person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person.

Applicants must be18 years of age or older.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Applications for a premises licence in Craven must be sent to us as the Licensing Authority and must include:

Processing and timescales

If posting the application, you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us.  However, if the application is submitted electronically, by email to, once verified, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities by no later than the first working day after the application is received. 

The statutory consultation period is 28 days starting the day after we receive the application. At the end of the consultation period if no representations are received, the licence shall be granted the day after the end of the consultation period and will be issued within the following 28 days.

If relevant representations are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days following the end of the consultation period, where the matter will be decided by the Licensing Sub-Committee. A notice will be sent within 10 working days of the decision being made.  

Applicants are required to advertise their application in accordance with the relevant regulations - refer to the guidance notes on how to complete. We will provide further information regarding this process.

If no relevant representations (i.e. representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) are received against your application, it will be granted as applied for upon completion of the consultation period.  

A hearing must be held if any relevant representations are made (and not withdrawn) in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected. We will send the decision to the applicant, along with any persons who made relevant representations and the chief of police.

Other applications that can be made are applications for an Interim Authority Notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

Advertising applications

Statutory Blue Notices are for premises licences applications, variations and club premises certificates. The notice should be displayed at the premises on A4 blue paper for 28 days. Day 1 is the day following the day the complete application is received by the Local Authority. If you are unsure please check with us as it is important that the correct details are contained in the notice. Please be aware this document should be printed on blue paper as required by Regulation 25 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Premises licences applications, variations and club premises certificates must also be advertised in a local newspaper at least once during the 10 working days after your application has been given to the Council.

Minor Variations require a statutory notice to be displayed on white A4 paper at the premises for 10 working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to Craven District Council.

Annual fee

The annual fee for your premises licence or club premises certificate is payable 12 months from the date your licence was granted and on the same date every year thereafter.

The fee

View a list of fees.

Fees are based on the non-domestic rateable value of your premises.

If you fail to pay your annual fee on or before the required date, the Licensing Authority must suspend your premises licence or club premises certificate. You will not be able to carry out any licensable activities until the fee is paid.

Although a reminder letter will be sent to you, ultimately it is your responsibility to ensure you make the payment.

It is a criminal offence to carry out or attempt to carry out licensable activities whilst a licence or certificate is suspended. It is also an offence to knowingly allow licensable activities to be so carried on whilst a licence or certificate is suspended.


Address: Licensing, Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

Phone: 01756 706251


Failed applications and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Applicants and holders of premises licences can appeal when:

  • an application for a premises licence is refused
  • an application to vary a premises licence is refused
  • an application to transfer a licence is refused
  • conditions are put on a premises licence
  • variations are made to the conditions of a premises licence
  • a licensable activity is excluded
  • a person is excluded as a premises supervisor
  • the premises licence is withdrawn by the Council, or
  • against the decision of a review

Appeals must be made to a Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

An interested party or responsible authority may apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be held by the licensing authority.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Other redress

The chief police officer for the police area where the premises are located can apply to the licensing authority for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior officer has given a certificate that they are of the opinion that the premises are associated with either serious crime or disorder or both. A hearing will be held and the licence holder and other interested parties may make representations.

A chief police officer can give a notice to the licensing authority if they believe that the transfer of a licence to another, under a variation application could undermine crime prevention objectives. Such a notice must be given within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

An interested party or responsible authority may make representations in relation to a licence application or request that the licensing authority reviews a licence.

An interested party or responsible authority may apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be held by the licensing authority.

A chief police officer may make representations to the licensing authority for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior member of the force has given a certificate to state that in their opinion the premises are associated with serious crime, disorder or both.

An interested party or relevant authority who made relevant representations may appeal against the granting of a licence or against any condition, variation, licensable activity or premises supervisor decisions.

Appeals must be made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Trade Associations

Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)

Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)

Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)


Premises Licence Applications received by Craven District Council can be viewed online. Please click here to view current applications.

Fire safety advice

Below is a link to North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue business safety website which may be helpful to applicants and premises licence holders.

NYFRS business safety website:

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes, except for applications for minor variations to premises licences or club premises certificates. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Target completion period

50 calendar days.