Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Gambling Premises Licence

Gambling Premises Licence

Gambling is controlled by the Gambling Act 2005.

More information on the Gambling Act 2005 can be found on the Office of Public Sector Information website

The Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing operating licences and personal licences, as well as for the regulation of remote gambling including gambling via the internet, phone, TV, computer etc. More information on these licences can be found on the Gambling Commission Website

Craven District Council's responsibilities

We are responsible for licensing premises for gambling in the Craven District and giving advice.

Before a licence is issued, we will follow guidance provided by the Gambling Commission and the three licensing objectives:

  • keeping gambling crime free
  • making sure that gambling is fair and open
  • protecting children and vulnerable adults

Gambling Premises Licence

Craven District Council is responsible for licensing premises for gambling in the Craven District and giving advice.

Individuals or companies who intend to offer certain types of gambling must obtain an operating licence from the Gambling Commission. A gambling premises licence is also required for any premises, where an individual or company propose to offer gambling. The licence is issued by the licensing authority (Craven District Council)

How to apply for a gambling premise licence 

Contact us to apply for a licence.

After you have applied you must then:

  • Send a notice to the responsible authorities using the following forms:


  • Advertise your application in a local newspaper covering the area or or if there is none, a local newsletter, or circular which serves your local area
  • Advertise as a site notice at your premises.

The licence will last the lifetime of the business, unless you apply for a shorter period. 

Variations to a gambling premises licence

Should the applicant wish to remove or vary some of the default conditions, they should download and fill in the following variation application forms:
You should then:
  • Send the application form to the Licensing Team and other responsible authorities
  • Include the relevant fee
  • Advertise the application in a local newspaper within ten days of the application and as a site notice at the premises

If representations are made or if the licensing authority attaches conditions to the licence, a hearing will be required unless the parties agree otherwise.

What types of premises can apply for the licence?

There are five types of premises licences that can be applied for:

  • Casino premises
  • Bingo premises
  • Betting premises, including tracks
  • Adult gaming centre premises
  • Family entertainment centre premises

Who can apply for a licence?

An application for a premises licence may only be made by persons (which includes partnerships or companies):

  • Who have the right to occupy the premises
  • Who are above 18 years old
  • Who have an operating licence which allows him/her to carry out the proposed activity or have applied for an operating licence from the Gambling Commission which can be received from the Gambling Commission Website