Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Apply for a pavement licence

A pavement licence lets you use furniture placed on the highway to sell or serve food or drink and/or allow it to be used by people for consumption of food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of the premises.

Licences can only be granted in respect of highways listed in section 115A(1) Highways Act 1980. 

Generally, these are footpaths restricted to pedestrians or are roads and places to which vehicle access is restricted or prohibited.

Who can apply?

A business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises)

Businesses which are eligible include premises such as

  • public houses
  • cafes
  • bars
  • restaurants
  • snack bars
  • coffee shops
  • ice cream parlours.


You will need

A credit or debit card to pay the £100 application fee

Supporting documents to upload:

  • Written confirmation from neighbouring premise (if applicable)
  • Photographs, brochures or scaled drawings showing design, dimensions, colour and materials of proposed tables, chairs
  • Photographs, brochures or scaled drawings showing design, dimensions, colour and materials of proposed means of enclosure
  • Public Liability Insurance for £5,000.000 (five million pounds)
  • A plan of the pavement area
  • Copy of insurance certificate including indemnity
  • Evidence of the notice on display at the premise

You can upload either PDF versions or legible photos of the original documents.

After you apply

Once you have applied you must fix a notice of the application to the premises so that the notice is readily visible to, and can be read easily by, members of the public.

You must display this notice for seven days.

Evidence of the site notice requirement must be supplied to the Council – send a photograph to quoting your application ID.

Download a sample template site notice

We have 14 days from the day after the application is made (excluding public holidays) to consult on and determine the application. 

This consists of seven days for public consultation, and seven days to consider and determine the application after the consultation.

If we determine the application before the end of the determination period we can:

  • grant the licence in respect of any or all of the purposes specified in the application
  • grant the licence for some or all of the part of the highway specified in the application, with conditions
  • refuse the application.


Apply for a pavement licence