Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Street Trading

Check if you need a licence from us to sell your wares on the street

Craven District Council has not adopted Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 and therefore does not control street trading.

If it is your intention to trade from a street or other public place within the Craven district please ensure that:

  • You gain permission from the land owner and do not trade from Council-owned parking spaces or car parks. North Yorkshire County Council is responsible for the public highways in our area. You can check their records here but also be aware that the land may be privately owned.  It is a good idea to get any permission in writing.
  • You do not cause an obstruction to either pedestrians or other road users
  • You do not trade in a time-limited parking area
  • You have registered as a food business if you are intending to sell food or drink. To register with our Environmental Health team as a food business please visit the dedicated web page here.
  • Have a Premises Licence in place (or submit a Temporary Event Notice if it's an ad-hoc event) if you intend to sell alcohol or if you intend to sell hot food or drink between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00. N.B. There are other licensable activities so please see our dedicated web pages here for more information about applying for a Premises Licence.