Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Taxi Vehicle Licence

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle - Taxi Licence

To see the process for applying for a renewal please see:- Vehicle Renewal

If you require a new vehicle inspection booklet they can be found here.


All licensed vehicles are required to have cameras installed, whether new vehicles or renewals. Please see our webpage CCTV in Hackney and Private Hire Vehicles for information on the specification and known suppliers.

The camera system must meet the standards set by the Council.

Prices and payment terms vary depending on the system purchased. Applicants should make enquiries with several suppliers before deciding on a system.

You may source your own systems but it must meet the Council's requirements. It is a good idea to ask the Council to verify that the system meets these requirements before purchasing.

Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence

This particular licence is required for any vehicle that will ply for hire, be flagged down or hired at a taxi rank. A 'Hackney Carriage' is more commonly called a Taxi. We issue licences for taxis and ensure that the vehicles are suitable and adequately insured to ensure high standards of safety. These vehicles have a roof sign and display a white plate on the rear of the vehicle. 

Private Hire Vehicle Licence 

Private Hire Vehicles cannot ply for hire in the street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by phone or in person at a cab office. Only someone holding a Private Hire Driver's licence may drive a Private Hire Vehicle. Private Hire Vehicles must also operate under a Private Hire Operator's licence. Please go to our Private Hire Operators page to apply for an Operator's licence. 

How do I apply for a vehicle licence?

Before a vehicle is licensed there are various supporting documents which must be provided alongside the application form. This process is the same for Hackney and Private hire vehicles.

  • MOT Certificate

  • Public Hire Insurance Document

  • Craven District Council Garage Test Certificate (all vehicles must be checked by the Council's approved garage to ensure high standards of safety)

  • Vehicle Registration Document V5/Log Book.

How do I arrange a Vehicle Test?

To book an appointment for a vehicle test you will first need to submit an application form to us with the supporting documents and pay the required fees. Once we are satisfied we will instruct you to book in with the approved garage. Fees for testing are paid directly to the garage.


The current approved garage is Midgley Motors, Skipton. You must submit an application and pay the required fees before you may have your vehicle tested . Should you require an MOT as well as the enhanced pre-taxi inspection check you must request this at the time of making the booking with Midgley's.


Please note all vehicles require a valid MOT which will cover the vehicle for the duration of the licence and we can only accept MOT certificates issued by the approved testing station.

To avoid delays it is important that you familiarise yourself with the vehicle specification requirements and conditions for licensed vehicles in Craven - see our Taxi Policy. Vehicles which require retesting not covered under the MOT retesting rules will have to pay an additional fee. 

How long does a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence last?

Vehicles aged 0-3 years - 1 year licence

Vehicles aged 3-12 years - 6 month licence

Once licensed a taxi is always a taxi until the licence expires (subject to Vehicle Age Limits - see below).

How much does it cost?

Hackney Carriage 

1 Year Licence (includes Plate/ID Card)  £243.21
6 Month Licence (includes Plate/ID Card) £125.00
Door Stickers (each) £7.00
Plate Fixing Brackets (optional) £8.80

Private Hire Vehicles 

1 Year Licence (includes Plate/ID Card)  £210.94
6 Month Licence (includes Plate/ID Card) £108.00
Plate Fixing Brackets (optional) £8.80

A testing fee will need to be paid to the approved garage, Midgley Motors. This is £60 including which also includes the cost of the MOT, if required.

How long does the process take?

Once the fee has been paid, the vehicle has passed the council's inspection test and you have provided us with the supporting documents, the vehicle licence and identification plates will be issued by the Licensing Department.

Vehicle Age Limits

A vehicle cannot be licensed as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire for the first time if it is over 7 years old.

Once a vehicle is 12 years old, it can no longer be renewed as a Licensed Vehicle.

The age of the vehicle will be determined from the date of first registration as stated on the vehicle registration document.

Taxi ranks in the Craven District - Only Applicable to Hackney Carriages 

The District has four official ranks which are located as follows:

Swadford Street, Skipton

Waller Hill Car Park Location

Sackville Street Location Map

Hall Street Car Park Crosshills