Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Private Hire Operators Licence

Private Hire Operators Licence

A private hire operator's licence is required to enable a person to accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles. One person can be licensed and employ/sub-contract an unlimited number of licensed vehicles.


Please note from 1st April 2021 CCTV in licensed vehicles will become a mandatory condition. 

Known Suppliers can be found here.

How long does the process take?

The outcome of your application will be determined within 14 working days of receipt of all required documents.

If you have any difficulty with any of the forms or have any questions, please contact us on the contact details on the right side of this page.

How long is it valid?

Once granted, a Private Hire Operators Licence is valid for a period of 5 years.

How much does it cost?

Private Hire Operator's Licence - £213.65

Once the application form has been completed, you need to make an appointment to visit our Offices, bringing with you the following documentation:

  • A reference from your banker
  • Certificate of Public Liability Insurance (if applicable)
  • Copy of Planning Permission
  • Licence Fee
  • Applicants will require a Basic Criminal Conviction Certificate
  • Applications will not be accepted without production of the above.

Important Information

A licensed private hire driver cannot accept any bookings unless he either holds or works for a licensed private hire operator. An operator may pass a booking to another licensed private hire vehicle operator provided that the operator is also licensed by the Council.

Members of the public must have initial contact with the operator and make the contract with them even if the operator does not provide the vehicle and/or the driver.

Before an operator's licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Council that the address from which they intend to operate is suitable and, where applicable, satisfy any conditions that maybe attached to the licence in order not to disturb the ambience of the area.

If you are a vehicle proprietor you may work for any existing Operator. However, if you wish to apply for your own licence to operate from premises which will be used as a booking office, you need to obtain Planning Permission from the Council allowing use of the building.

A Certificate of Public Liability Insurance is required where the public have access to the premises i.e. waiting room etc. However, where no public access or waiting facilities are provided or if you wish to operate your own vehicle from home, this insurance is not necessary.