Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Listed Buildings Register

A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of national historical or architectural interest.

Listed Buildings are included on the National Heritage List for England, which is maintained by English Heritage.  To find out if a building is listed please search the National Heritage List for England.  Photographs of the Listed Buildings in Craven are also available from the Images of England website.

Details of the Listed Building grading system, the criteria for listing, and how buildings are added or removed from the list are all available on the Listed Buildings page of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport website. The Council has also produced a 'Listed Buildings Explained' leaflet, which is available to download below.

Work on a Listed Building

Listing gives a building legal protection, and consent is needed to demolish a listed building, or carry out alterations which would destroy historic features or affect its character.  It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without prior listed building consent - even if you did not know that the building was listed. Carrying out unauthorised work is punishable by a fine or a prison sentence and you may be required to put the building back the way it was.

Regular maintenance and 'like for like' repairs do not need listed building consent but it would be required if the repairs include removal of historic material or changes to its character. For example, internal alterations that include removal of historic doors, fireplaces, panelling or plaster work or replacement of external doors or windows would require consent. Painting and internal decorating does not need Listed Building Consent but any external painting may require consent as it may affect the character of the Listed Building.

The process for obtaining listed building consent is similar to other planning applications. It is recommended that you contact the Council for advice on maintenance and repairs as the effects are not always straight forward. You can contact us if you are unsure whether you need permission, or for more advice on what type of work would require listed building consent.

Applications for listed buildings consent are dealt with by the Council's Development Control Team. Our Development Control pages have information and guidance on applying for Listed Building Consent and application forms.

Further advice for owners of listed buildings is available on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the English Heritage web sites.