Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Q. Do I need planning permission for a dropped kerb?

A. There are two separate entitles to consider for proposals to drop the kerb.

North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC)

It is always necessary to get permission from North Yorkshire County Council Highways Department as this is their property.  NYCC will require the works to be carried out by one of their approved contractors.

Craven District Council, Local Planning Authority

Whilst planning permission is not normally required for the actual dropping of the kerb as this is outside of the residential curtilage.  Planning permission would be required if new or altered vehicular access is onto a classified road.  It is best to check whether permission will be needed before proceeding with any works.