Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Planning Advice

How to find out if planning permission (or another similar consent) is required, and how to get advice on the acceptability of a proposed development before submitting an application (pre-application advice).
The duty planning officer will be available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9am to 12.30pm only.

Find out if planning permission, or another similar consent, is required

Establishing whether planning permission is required for a proposed development can be complex. Planning Legislation allows certain works to be undertaken without planning permission (this is referred to as 'permitted development'). However, there are lots of different criteria to check to establish whether permission is required or not.

The Planning Service can undertake this check for you and provide you with an informal opinion on the need for planning permission. A fee of £25 is payable to use this service.

Download the forms available at the bottom of this page to access this service and obtain further guidance on the process. Use the Householder Form for extensions and alterations to residential dwellings, and the General Form for all other proposals

If you do not wish to use this service there are a variety of free sources of advice available to help establish whether planning permission is required. The Planning Portal is the National Governments gateway to planning information throughout the UK. It includes lots of helpful information including an interactive house that can be used to help establish whether planning permission is required.

Alternatively your architect, or whoever is drawing your plans, may be able to provide you with advice on the need for planning permission.

View Government Planning Portal

It is also possible to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate from the Council to obtain a formal decision on the need for planning permission. The process requires the submission of plans, completion of application forms and the payment of a fee. The main benefit of obtaining a Certificate of Lawfulness is that you have formal proof that works are lawful which can be of significant benefit when it comes to selling a property.

Advice on the acceptability of a proposed development (pre-application advice)

The Council welcomes and encourage early discussions with those considering making a planning application for development. Providing pre-application advice is however a non-statutory service and therefore the planning authority have decided to use its discretionary power to charge for certain types of pre-application advice in order to recover at least some of the costs incurred.

The income raised is used to improve the pre-application advice service and also helps to reduce the cost burden of providing the advice for the council tax payers of the district.

Advice for householders and other smaller scale development continues to be available without charge from the on-duty planning officer service. The advice given is an informal officer opinion only and is not formally binding.

The guidance note 'Obtaining Pre-Application Planning Advice' provides details on the pre-application advice service available, how to obtain pre-application advice, and guidance on when a charge will be made for using this service.

'On Duty' Planning Officer service

Advice on certain planning matters can be obtained from the on-duty Planning Officer service at the Council Offices.

This is a 'drop in' service, available at the times below.




Call into the main reception at 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ and ask to see the On Duty Planning Officer.

Meetings are limited to 30 minutes (12.30pm and 4.30pm are the last available appointment times for the day).  Please note that meetings with officers outside of the periods stated above are normally not available.

If you are unable to visit the offices you can submit your enquiry using the written enquiry form - we aim to provide a response to you within 10 working days, but the resource for the on duty planning officer is limited to 20 hours a week and at busy periods we may not be able to meet this commitment.

Make an online planning enquiry

The advice available

The On Duty Planning Officer will provide advice on a variety of planning matters.  They will seek to guide you on how to submit an application, and will also seek to help with any queries that you may have on current planning applications. Should they not be able to help with a current application related query, they will take your details and ask the application case officer to contact you.

The on duty planning officer will provide free pre-application advice on the merits of certain types of development (such as applications to extend or alter houses). Please note that for larger development proposals the on duty planning officer will not be able to help and a fee is payable to obtain pre-application advice. The guidance document 'Obtaining Pre-Application Planning Advice - Guidance Note April 2014' is available to download and explains how to obtain pre-application advice.

Verbal advice on the need for planning permission is not provided by the Duty Officer. 

Advice from the on-duty Planning Officer is an informal officer view only, based on the information available at the time, and is not a formal binding decision of the Council.

Other information

Please bring with you the address of the property including its postcode and as much information about the proposed development as you can, e.g. dimensions, drawings, photographs, brochures or sketches.

Useful advice on a whole range of planning matters can also be obtained on the Planning Portal website. The Planning Portal is the UK Government's online planning resource for England and Wales.